Looking to get into DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info guys. Gsk3, I wasn't aware that the Rec1 level gave a person OW certification. Unfortunatly, there aren't any DIR instructors, and travel is not an option at this time. I think we'll have to "settle" for a more traditional OW cert, and make arrangements for later next year to start our DIR, plus we don't have any DIR equipment to go to class in right now. We're absolutly looking forward to a great diving career and can't wait to join the DIR community.

As for your equipment,all you need is 7ft hose, BP/W and Octo, Reg. Stiff fins, no split fins

Type of Bp/W is up to you. They all make great equipment. (Halcyon-Diverite-Hog-OMS) I dive the Halcyon Eclipse and love it. A few others I know have it and feel the same. One of my instructors used the Diverite for several years he told us and liked it a lot too.

Thanks for all the info guys. Gsk3, I wasn't aware that the Rec1 level gave a person OW certification. Unfortunatly, there aren't any DIR instructors, and travel is not an option at this time. I think we'll have to "settle" for a more traditional OW cert, and make arrangements for later next year to start our DIR, plus we don't have any DIR equipment to go to class in right now. We're absolutly looking forward to a great diving career and can't wait to join the DIR community.

I would solicit opinions on the best OW instructor in your area. There should be several that have completed GUE-F or UTD Essentials who would get you going on the right track from the start...

Welcome to the DIR path! I just dove with a very nice Austin Tx GUE diver & will forward this thread on. Perhaps you all can connect.

One important factor in picking a bp is size. If your wife is shorter than 5´5, she¨may find a smaller plate more comfortable. Halcyon & DSS have small backplates.

Have fun shopping!

Welcome to the DIR path! I just dove with a very nice Austin Tx GUE diver & will forward this thread on. Perhaps you all can connect.

One important factor in picking a bp is size. If your wife is shorter than 5´5, she¨may find a smaller plate more comfortable. Halcyon & DSS have small backplates.

Have fun shopping!

Kathy forward it on to me also, thank you, keith

I think you might be in luck. One of our local UTD instructors (AE3753 aka Don) travels to Austin quite a bit and is planning a class out there (if there's interest)

UTD Essentials in Austin TX, July or August

While I haven't taken a class from him I have been in the water with some of his students and have heard nothing but praise for his abilities and patience. Be sure to check out the links in his signature... he has a few articles that are real gems of knowledge.

Last edited:
Thanks kathydee, maybe we can meet up with him sometime. Ben ca, that would be outstanding if I had the gear to do it right now. That's the main reason for wanting to take the class next year, to give us some time to get everything together.

With Essentials the gear isn't as critical as in Fundies... In my local area we have a lot of like minded divers and usually we can borrow enough gear to outfit the ones in need.... you never know maybe there's a community like that in Austin that is still unknown to you.

Oh, Don is a wonderful person and incredibly generous . . . my guess is that somehow, you could come up with a 7' hose and non-split fins for the class. You'd love it.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom