Looking to relocate -- Diving is a priority

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jasondcrawford

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I need some advice (obviously :D).

I'm sick of working all day, only to get home and have about 20 minutes with my family before it's time to start getting the kids ready for bed. I'm thinking of taking our savings and grabbing an early retirement in SE Asia (and home school the kids).

Long story short, Malaysia is one of the countries we are starting to look into from a lifestyle / economic perspective, but wanted to get some input from y'all on the diving / snorkeling side of things. Is there any great diving on the peninsula, or do you have to live over in Borneo? Does Borneo even have good diving, or do you have to take a quick flight somewhere else? Are the areas fairly safe?

How does it compare to the other south pacific options?

Thanks in advance! I've got information overload at this point -- so much information out there and hard to sort through.

Well firstly, malaysia is not south pacific, its the celebes sea/indo pacific and Sipidan is located in malaysia - check out sipidan and mabul diving - some of the better diving in the world actually. There is a bit of a political situation that you may want to be aware of. Have a google of Sipidan but be aware that of course you wont be living out on the islands. Do a LOT of research first - living in a country as an expat has its own special set of challenges.
Vietnam is popular with western retirees as is the Philippines. Economic reasons I would guess being the big driver behind Vietnam.

Expat Guide for working and living in Malaysia | InterNations.org

Living in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: a hidden gem for the Asia expat? | Nomad Capitalist

Some reading you might find helpful.

Thanks, appreciate the info. Realistically I'm probably at least 3 years out from getting my family prepared to relo overseas, so we have plenty of time to research and visit. Guess I didn't realize Malaysia wasn't quite the south pacific -- guess this makes a big difference for dive quality.

Doesn't look like living on the islands would be realistic, and having to take a flight (even a short one) to the location makes it a lot less appealing, as the cost starts adding up when you factor in transportation and lodging. Ideally I'd find a place where I can buy a 6 person boat and run my own charters if people show up. If nobody shows up, I'd just sleep in and take the kids, or do some snorkeling from the shore after the kids finish their homework.

Is there quality diving of the coast of Borneo? From what I've read it's all about Sipidan and Mabul, so maybe Malaysia is off the list...

JMO but Indo Pacific and South Pacific diving in the right spot can be equally as amazing as each other. Both different but both awesome. I would suggest if you are considering expat life with kids try and connect with people who have done it and work out the pros and cons and find the right place for you - best of luck :)

There is more to Borneo other than Sipadan, and as Wingy mentioned there are also long running issues politically with some residents of another nearby country.

You may want to visit the country first to assess first hand, however you may find that in order to open a new venture a local partner owning at least 51% of the business will be required.

The nearest Malaysia came to being in the Pacific was when they filmed "South Pacific" in Tioman Island in 1958

The Philippines has fabulous diving and snorkelling , and the people are fantastic.

I'm a Canadian and I spend as much time as I possibly can in the Phils. I spend almost all my time on the island of Cebu and there is some great diving about 15 mins from the airport on Mactan. There are a lot of foreigners here and I've never been treated badly by anyone. Culturally they are very similar to north America, their religion is predominantly catholic and English is spoken by just about anyone younger than 45. You can get anywhere you want by taxi (cheap) even if the taxi driver can't speak English. just make sure you know the name of where you are going and a few landmarks around it and you're golden.

you can dive pretty well anywhere along the cost of mactan and Cebu, but there are definitely dive "locations" for the traveler. there are specific locations to see specific animals in the water, but right on mactan island (which is only a bridge away from Cebu island and where the international airport is) there is some really fantastic macro diving. I've got about 100 dives just along the cost and a few short boat rides away. If you make a day trip to either tip of the island you can see the whale sharks and threasher sharks (threasher sharks are nearer to malipasqua which is really world class diving too, but you can grab a boat from the Cebu coast if you know some people, which you will if you live there)

I've been to mactan so many times now, and know enough locals that I can usually jump on a boat from mactan to the outer dive sites for nothing, or next to nothing. Diving here is completely free (if you know the right people or simply have your own gear) A lot of times, when I just want to go out and shoot (underwater photography) I just hire a local young man to spot for me (instant dive buddy) for about 500php a day (about 12 bucks usd) and pay for his tanks. They're pretty good at finding the little things while I take my time and shoot to my efficient hearts content.

Would I live here? Absofrickenlutely. I've not really dove a lot of places around the world, Vancouver Ca, Hawaii, but of those places, I'd take the phils any time.

If you lived here you could dive every day and never get bored. If you needed a change of scenery, you've got 7000 islands that are only a 100 dollar plane ride away.

This is a gallery of some of the shots I've taken 10 mins from the international airport, shore diving off mactan island phils.

I'm actually back in the phils right now. I'd be diving right now if I didn't get a damn tooth infection that made half my face swell up... stupid mask wont seal :wink:

Good luck in whichever journey you decide to take Jason. Tzetsin those pictures are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainland Malaysia only has a few dive options.. East Malaysia has a number of options. Check out Kota Kinabalu which is also the major hub in east Malaysia to get everywhere else that's divable. Otherwise Indonesia/philippines are your friend

Are you prepared for the culture shock?

Put aside the weather, diving and economic lifestyle. Do you really understand the the culture? Are you ready for it?

Malaysia is not "east texas". I am not saying it is bad. But it IS very different. Malaysia has a very different value system from North America.

If you are aware and jiggy with it then go for it. Other wise you may want to consider some places that are more aligned to North American or European cultural standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom