Loss of weights at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And you you really think you could hold down your buddy then pop a 25 pound lift bag from depth and go ahead and try and pull it back down :D

Hey, I was talking about slowing it down, not holding it down. Big difference. I was watching my computer and as soon I started to go too fast I let him go.

That's kinda old school, I can remember when it was the standard recommendation. A lot of old techniques were discarded not because they did not work (sometimes better) but because new divers stopped coming equipped with the skills required to use the techniques.

... And you you really think you could hold down your buddy then pop a 25 pound lift bag from depth and go ahead and try and pull it back down :D
No problem, I once wondered about that and found that I could make a surface dive in a 13 ft pool and (with great effort) kick my way to the bottom in full wet suit, no belt with a completely inflated FENZY. All of my staff tried it, and with the exception of one small woman (who could not get her fins into the water from the surface dive), all of them could also do it ... so that's 70 lbs positive ... more or less.

If your assent becomes rapid and you cannot slow it down, fill your lungs with air, remove the regulator from your mouth (this is important and easy to forget), and start a slow but constant discharge of air from your lungs.

Why?

I (not being an instructor, just a beginner diver) disagree with this. Here is my reasoning...

Keep regulator in and continue to breath through it will accomplish several things:

1. Your airway is open (you are breathing after all) thus minimizing overexpansion.

2. In case you lose consciousness you have regulator in and you will be able to continue to breath.

3. If surface is choppy you have air supply and not getting water in your mouth.

You may not be able to gain control of your assent. If your assent becomes rapid and you cannot slow it down, fill your lungs with air, remove the regulator from your mouth (this is important and easy to forget), and start a slow but constant discharge of air from your lungs. Relax and focus on the fact that you are going to the surface and safety. Try to remain calm and ride it out until you break the surface.

You leave the regulator in your mouth. Same with any emergency/accidental ascent CESA, et al) It helps provide an exit path for expanding air in your lungs. Also, filling your lungs with air will just increase your ascent rate. Flare out and control your breathing. Relax, try not to panic.

You do not take a second stage out of your mouth, ever, during an event like this. It's a surefire way to get an air embolism, or worse.

The best way to prevent this is to not have huge porportions of your weight in a single place, at least not so much that you can't counter it with your lungs by exhaling. If it means a weight belt with your pouches, so be it. Less lead you have to replace when the thing will eventually pop out unannounced anyways.

Hey, I was talking about slowing it down, not holding it down. Big difference. I was watching my computer and as soon I started to go too fast I let him go.

It all comes down to the situation, I was just stating that your post was about a panicked diver, Who chances are would be over weighted to start with.... Compared to a diver who just lost all there weight and depending on how much weight that is and what kind of buddy they are diving with could result in issues.

I am all for grabbing a buddy.. but if i can't get him under control or with in what i consider a safe consideration of control with in the first 10 feet then i am much better use to him, when i complete my controlled assent then i would be to have been dragged along with him.

It all comes down to the situation, I was just stating that your post was about a panicked diver, Who chances are would be over weighted to start with.... Compared to a diver who just lost all there weight and depending on how much weight that is and what kind of buddy they are diving with could result in issues.

I am all for grabbing a buddy.. but if i can't get him under control or with in what i consider a safe consideration of control with in the first 10 feet then i am much better use to him, when i complete my controlled assent then i would be to have been dragged along with him.

I think we are talking about the same thing just from different perspective. Try to help and if doesn't work, let it go and reengage on the surface. If that doesn't help just wait until (s)he gets tired and then tow :)

No problem, I once wondered about that and found that I could make a surface dive in a 13 ft pool and (with great effort) kick my way to the bottom in full wet suit, no belt with a completely inflated FENZY. All of my staff tried it, and with the exception of one small woman (who could not get her fins into the water from the surface dive), all of them could also do it ... so that's 70 lbs positive ... more or less.

There is a difference swimming your own rig down and trying to hold down a boyant object and i know you know that so i am not trying to insult you there.

What are the chances you could grab your buddy who just lost all there weight and has already started there accent.. I mean it might be different if they drop weight and you grab.. but by the time you get to them even only a couple of feet they have already started that accent and hopfully know better to jump on and deflate there BCD. But to grab that person when they are panicked and still be able to swim them down?

If your assent becomes rapid and you cannot slow it down, fill your lungs with air, remove the regulator from your mouth (this is important and easy to forget), and start a slow but constant discharge of air from your lungs.

The reason I offer this suggestion, is because of a rapid assent experience I had. I noticed during the rapid assent that the air and lungs expand very quickly. To compound this the external pressure on the chest is decreasing rapidly. There is very little time for inhaling. In fact, for practical purposes there is no time, for inhaling. You will find your lungs completely expanded and inhaling almost an impossibility.

I was taught emergency assending in my training a long time ago. The training was right on target. A rapid assent requires slow, long, and deliberate exhaling.

Food for thought.

The reason I offer this suggestion, is because of a rapid assent experience I had. I noticed during the rapid assent that the air and lungs expand very quickly. To compound this the external pressure on the chest is decreasing rapidly. There is very little time for inhaling. In fact, for practical purposes there is no time, for inhaling. You will find your lungs completely expanded and inhaling almost an impossibility.

I was taught emergency assending in my training a long time ago. The training was right on target. A rapid assent requires slow, long, and deliberate exhaling.

Food for thought.

We question your "take regulator out" point. Care to elaborate it?

Back
Top Bottom