Loss of weights at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dump air, flair, swim down...
Kinda hard to flare and swim down at the same time.

A proper flare, with arms out (sort of a sky diving position, but going up) will slow you to less than 60 fpm.

I separate my weight between my BCD and my weight belt, I use 18 lbs., 6 in each weight pocket and 6 on my weight belt. I have lost one of my weight pouches at depth, 33% of what I was carrying and did not shoot to the surface. I swam a quite a bit crooked but still stayed down.
Once at the surface I could not redescend without that 6 lbs., but that showed me that it's good to have your weight distributed so that if you lose one of them (which happens, at least with the BCD I have) you won't shoot to the surface.
By the way, I dive cold water in about 12mm of wetsuit protection, 18 pounds isn't too much.

Yeah, your weight pocket is PITA to get back in during the dive however! You surely are hard pressed to do it yourself. I am glad I was able to help at that time. (BTW: Thank you for the dive! It was awesome. And sorry I was a crappy buddy!)

On the contrast on the same dive I had 30 lbs (10 in each ditchable pocket and 10 non-ditchable on my cam belt) while diving dry suit. I am still new to dry suit diving and the dive before I got bit stressed being caught in the kelp and was being bit too buoyant at the end so I added 2 lbs.

Back on the topic:

If you don't dive dry then try to swim downwards to slow down the ascent. If you are diving dry, flair (sp?) up and try to slow down the ascent. Make sure your find offer as much resistance as you can. Make sure your dump valve is all the way open and make sure you try to dump air out of BC as fast as you can.

This is one of those instances in which diving in a threesome might be more helpful than the traditional buddy pair. Your two other buddies would (hopefully) have enough negative buoyancy to hold you down until you could grab some rocks, kelp or an ascent line (anchor, mooring line, etc.). Then, in an ideal situation, one of your buddies could retrieve your weight for you.

If you lose a significant amount of weight and dumping all of your BCD air doesn't help you regain control, you're going to the surface. As was suggested by others, continue to dump air, flare out, and remember to keep an open airway to prevent lung overexpansion injuries.

Avoid the situation in the first place. During your pre-dive checks, ensure that the ditchable weight can be released (on purpose only) but is securely fastened. If you're wearing a weight belt, be sure to readjust it upon initial descent to account for wetsuit compression. It also might be a good idea to split up the weight, i.e., don't carry all of your lead on a weight belt or in weight-integrated pockets. Personally, I think that there's no reason to carry 30 lbs. on a weight belt (but others may disagree). If you're afraid of accidentally losing a heavy weight belt, consider switching to something like a DUI Weight & Trim harness. The ditching mechanism is very secure, and it distributes the weight nicely over your shoulders.

Be safe out there.

Get assistance from that buddy who is, of course, right next to you.

That's very dependent on the conditions. If someone lost a 30 Lb weightbelt, grabbing a buddy will just bring two people to the surface.

Terry

Get assistance from that buddy who is, of course, right next to you.

Assistance is what you would get if your alive on the surface, If someone where to lose all there weight at depth the odds of staying down are next to nothing... Now its one thing for your weight belt to come lose on you and holding it while your buddy wraps it around you again. However if one had 20-30 pounds of weight all on one source then they are going to be a nickel rocket to the surface, and i would hope to hell they did not grab there buddy or they are both going to be laying on the surface in a world of hurt, with no one to assist.

Assistance is what you would get if your alive on the surface, If someone where to lose all there weight at depth the odds of staying down are next to nothing... Now its one thing for your weight belt to come lose on you and holding it while your buddy wraps it around you again. However if one had 20-30 pounds of weight all on one source then they are going to be a nickel rocket to the surface, and i would hope to hell they did not grab there buddy or they are both going to be laying on the surface in a world of hurt, with no one to assist.

A buddy can significantly slow down the ascent in such situation. However it is always better if buddy that has weights is in control of it and assists vs. other way around.

I've slowed down the ascent by someone who was bit of a panic mode and bolting towards surface (using "elevator button"). We've reached about 20ft when I've had enough and let go and safely ascended to the surface.

I've slowed down the ascent by someone who was bit of a panic mode and bolting towards surface (using "elevator button"). We've reached about 20ft when I've had enough and let go and safely ascended to the surface.

There is a difference in chasing after a panicked diver and being able to assist with there decent by deflating of fighting to deflate them compared to a diver say as myself when i first started diving with 40+ pounds of weight on a belt. You drop that kind of weight off your self at depth you are going to rocket to the surface and drag along any buddy you might have with you.

And you you really think you could hold down your buddy then pop a 25 pound lift bag from depth and go ahead and try and pull it back down :D

Kinda hard to flare and swim down at the same time.

A proper flare, with arms out (sort of a sky diving position, but going up) will slow you to less than 60 fpm.

1+

The way I was taught (1970's) was face-up, "spread eagle", head a bit higher than feet, and airway open. In this position you present an awful lot of surface area with your torso, arms, legs and fins all creating drag, you can see the surface, and can continue to dump (from inflator).

If a flare is being taught differently now, please jump in and correct the above.

Best wishes.

You may not be able to gain control of your assent. If your assent becomes rapid and you cannot slow it down, fill your lungs with air, remove the regulator from your mouth (this is important and easy to forget), and start a slow but constant discharge of air from your lungs. Relax and focus on the fact that you are going to the surface and safety. Try to remain calm and ride it out until you break the surface.

You may not be able to gain control of your assent. If your assent becomes rapid and you cannot slow it down, fill your lungs with air, remove the regulator from your mouth (this is important and easy to forget), and start a slow but constant discharge of air from your lungs. Relax and focus on the fact that you are going to the surface and safety. Try to remain calm and ride it out until you break the surface.

Why exactly are you recommending that a diver that is not out of air remove their regulator?

Is there any organization or agency in the world that teaches this?

Terry

Back
Top Bottom