Lost buddy: did I make a mistake while finding him?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lolarent my opinion (in fairness based on less than 50 dives) If you went wrong anywhere at all it was BEFORE you got in the water. Your dive plan should have decided for you what the course of action was in case of lost buddy

So at the end of the day Kazbanz is correct, but likely I would have done the same as you done in that scenario. But, I have less than 50 dives myself so take that with a grain of salt. Your ascent sounded safe on both parties parts.

I don't think you did anything wrong, and I'd probably have done the same thing in your place. Lose your buddy, look where you think they might be for a reasonable period (sometimes a minute is reasonable, and sometimes you pretty much know you aren't going to find them, so you search for a shorter time). Then ascend, at a safe speed. Once you got up and saw the bubbles, you knew your buddy was breathing, and they were getting bigger, so he was coming up. Going back down and connecting with him, if the conditions made it likely that you COULD do that, wasn't unreasonable. And if you were that early in the dive, I think going on and continuing wasn't out of line, either.

I think I would have done what you did. Whether that makes it right or not is probably arguable. But I would have done it.

So lets look at it this way at 30 fpm ascent from 120' you are looking at 4 minutes add a 1 min. stop at 60', 30' and a 2 minute stop at 15' (I like being conservative when I am deep, greater then 80'. I like to do a stop at half my deepest depth and so on till I am at my 2 min stop) bringing you to 8 min. to the deck. So IMHO you did not ascend to fast.
As for going back down well that all depends on what your plan was. If it was to meet up on the deck then you broke protocol and that is not ok. Everything worked out for you and you had a good dive so that is cool but that is not what you asked us hear. Once on the deck from even a short 120' dive on air (there are no long air dives to 120' w/o deco. The NAUI tables give you a NDL of 12 min. @120'.) Once the dive was scrubbed you should have met on the deck to see why it was scrubbed and to make sure everything was ok. Your buddy was not given the opportunity to do so by you. Even if he gave the OK sign, plenty of people say they are ok because they feel pressured or don’t want to be "that guy". Plan your dive and dive your plan............. In the end you both survived and dove some more so there is that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom