Lost Buddy procedure. Should I have done things differently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only thing you did wrong was to not raise an alarm and start a search. I don't know what you learned in OW, but if you did not learn any procedures after surfacing for a lost buddy, it is time for you to start reading.

I normally dive solo or same ocean buddy so I have a wide range of procedures to use for my diving, depending on the dive. When I do buddy dive I take it just as seriously, and follow the agreed upon protocols. I haven't lost a buddy in years, the last time it happened we met on the surface, discussed how not to duplicate the event, and finished our dive.

If you agree upon a dive plan and your buddy does not feel he has to adhere to it or thumb the dive, then find another buddy.

As an aside, AfterDark can be a good buddy, he would just rather be solo.

Bob
------------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

As mentioned.. 3 ft visibility and strong current and wave action... Normal recreational divers are not going to stay together in those conditions. If you have to follow the protocol of coming to the surface.. I probably would have tried to find a string or rope or something and make everyone in the team hold onto a 10 ft long line. Realistically, it was hardly practical to dive like that.

As an aside, AfterDark can be a good buddy, he would just rather be solo.
Bob
------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it was you not losing me on that dive not the other way around, but we did stay together. :)

I agree with those who commented that the Buddy group of three failed to do an adequate predive briefing. Had all three been on the same page, surfaced, they could have reassembled and still done the dive. Predive buddy checks and communication are terribly neglected, and the op's story is one result from failure to be clear in communication and all being on the same page. I have a lot of questions regarding the conditions and how they impacted the predive conference. Did the divers discuss proximity, use of a buddy cord, or lights? I would also be interested in what the missing buddy did for 40 minutes as part of the post dive briefing and conversation. As to calling the authoirites, I make no recommendation. I think you have to be on site to make that judgment.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom