Lost Diver in Cozumel, Mexico, February 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be in Cozumel next week with a new group of divers. We will probably be giving it a miss.

Like other dives, it is enjoyable for a diver who is experienced and ready for it, and shows decent skills. Santa Rosa Wall is one of my favourite dives in Cozumel, and I didn't find it any more challenging than others. I had only been diving about 6 months when I first did Santa Rosa Wall.

I will be in Cozumel next week with a new group of divers. We will probably be giving it a miss.
If you have any really not up to following their training, have them hire private DMs for each pair. Better than missing great dives that really are reasonably safe. Even down currents are manageable.

Last I heard they had found the lost diver's body and were going to check dental records. Have they made any confirmation yet?

Overreact much...??
No, I have a group of new divers including juniors. It will be their first time in the ocean. I strongly believe that it is critical to have divers dive within their comfort level. I feel there are many better sites for them to experience that are within their ability.

Too many times, divers are coerced into doing signature dives that are beyond their ability.

I would rather them have more bottom time on shallower sites that are within their limits. Less risk equals more FUN!

Last I heard they had found the lost diver's body and were going to check dental records. Have they made any confirmation yet?

Any news yet? I tried searching all the local and state news and couldn't find the information that she was recovered. A friend of mine is a friend of the daughter.

Obviously I cannot know of possible cases but I would want to know of any that are verified. It sounds like you blame the Port Captain for a diver becoming separated from a group and not being found. I am doubtful that such is a common occurrence and that the diver is never found.

We do not know when a problem occurred, what the problem was or why it was not resolved safely, if it could have been. In my opinion, blaming the Port Captain does not seem to have any merit. I understand the desire to blame anyone but the people involved, but that usually does not address what could have been done to prevent this bad outcome or prevent similar ones in the future.
Actually, I am in no position to blame anyone. I am a friend of the family, and I was simply trying to be helpful by using my native Spanish language skills to translate the news story since others were trying to figure out what it said. I hoped that by providing potentially helpful information to this forum of knowledgeable divers, I might be helping in some small way in preventing this from happening again. I am merely a linguistic conduit.

I have no idea how the Port Captain conducts business but I am skeptical that divers are being left to die frequently. In reality it probably never happens. Once a diver descends into the water, his safety is largely up to him. I never rely upon the boat captain except to pick me up at the end of the dive.
I dove that area in the late afternoon, on that day, and lMO the sea conditions were not bad and there was no reason for a closure. The morning was marginal but much improved in the afternoon. I truly wish that all divers carried at a minimum a DSMB and knew how to use one. The problem being 'know how to use one' it can be tricky learning the first few times and just handing them out with rental gear would probably induce more acidents.

The currents were bad that day, some boats cancelled their dives, we were asked by a family friend to try to help find her the day of her disappearance. We heard today that they recovered her body north of San Clemente reef yesterday. My heart goes out to her family and friends. At least now they have closure, and she is going home

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom