Lost diver in Puget Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

200 feet on an AL80. If true that is just crazy - NO and I mean NO room for error of any kind.

Ah ... to be young and invulnerable again.

"Personal bests" are so pathetic. This was a senseless and completely preventable death. :(

What a waste. Hope no one else gets in trouble trying a recovery.

Sad indeed. My thoughts to friends and family.

Diving deep for the sake of diving deep is foolish. Doing so on an AL80 is stupid.

Doing 200feet on air is also foolish, especially for inexperienced divers.

What's wrong is not why they did it (who cares) but how they did it. The most troubling issue as was pointed out is that an instructor was involved.

And if it weren't for the TOS, that instructor's name should be exposed to prevent the uninformed from using them. At the very least the DM and instructor should have their certs revoked.

NWGratefulDiver:
Found this on a local board ...

This breaks my heart. Chad was a good man ... just young and "invulnerable". Him and his friends were out to break a "personal best" depth record.

The fifth diver on this little adventure is a NAUI instructor. He should've known better than take two new divers on a dive to over 200 feet ... and on AL80's. If it were up to me, whatever his credentials, he'd never teach again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It doesn't break my heart it makes me mad. An instructors mere presence among a group of young guys that were planning on breaking a personal best depth add validity and courage to the dive for inexperiend divers, after all the instructor was doing it too.

I PM'd you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom