Lost logbooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Talon:
I still tend to wring VERY long trip reports and only about half of it relates to the actual dive. More of a diary in some parts I guess. So I wouldn't want it lost for obvious reasons. Personally, I would feel weird a stranger reading it. Much less the people I called idiots in my log book :)
I handwrite my dive log entries into a bound hardcover log. I've been doing that since roughly 1978. Mine are also more like a diary in some parts. I'd really hate to lose my logs. But, like Bob, my logs remain at home in the bookcase. I don't take them on trips or out on the boats, I fill them out after returning from the trip. Sometimes I'll jot down notes in my wetnotes, but most of the numbers are stored in my Uwatec BT.

Sometimes those logs come in real handy, and it IS useful to be able to scroll through some of the older ones from time to time. But if you're going to be OCD about them, like I am, don't take them out on trips with you!

That way no one can discover that you called them an idiot for some monstrosity they caused on the last trip!

Lil' Irish Temper:
...I've gotten further away from keeping a paper log, and now all I do is is keep one on a online scuba data log book. It's on a actual server so if my computer crashes or burns up - it is not lost. The reasons I like this it is simple, easy, no papers to keep track of, and access to it almost anywhere in the world.

Use caution with online servers. They may or may not be backed up and the server administrators usually assume no responsibility for lost data. Also, if they decide to close up and go offline, all your data may be gone with no recourse.

I keep my log book on a server and on paper, and I'm glad I do. During Hurricane Ivan here, the server lost a lot of data including my entire log. Fortunately, I've still got all the books.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom