Lotsa Weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't done a dive in 3 mil. In salt water with my shorty I need 18 pounds. Body suit only I need 10-12, can't recall which. My angle is ever so slightly torso (head) up--not enough to consider weights on the tank strap. My legs are like rocks and fins very negative. I do think about all that weight if doing a 100' dive--one reason I don't do anything but these very shallow dives solo. On those dives I am able to swim up with BC empty (if it is in fact empty, as discussed).

WOW. I'm exactly 6 feet, 200 lbs, Al80, 3 mil full wetsuit, no hood and I use 20 lbs. Something sounds not right.

WOW. I'm exactly 6 feet, 200 lbs, Al80, 3 mil full wetsuit, no hood and I use 20 lbs. Something sounds not right.

You seem to be carry too much weight too. The same configuration for me, being similar size and weight to you is 2lbs....

You seem to be carry too much weight too. The same configuration for me, being similar size and weight to you is 2lbs....
Clarify-- What do you mean 2 pounds?

Clarify-- What do you mean 2 pounds?
When Diving an AL 80 in a 3mm suit (given I'm similar build and weight as poster) I only use 2lbs of weight. I dive a wing with no plate (a DiveRite Transpac Harness and Voyager 36# wing with the rear padding removed)

Curious, exactly how much lead does it take to sink you in a pool with nothing but swim trunks and a full comfortable inhale?

I'm betting on barrel-chested musician. Wind instrument? Look up spirometry and let me know what your total lung capacity is...

Curious, exactly how much lead does it take to sink you in a pool with nothing but swim trunks and a full comfortable inhale?

I'm betting on barrel-chested musician. Wind instrument? Look up spirometry and let me know what your total lung capacity is...

Ohhh! Good theory! I'll be interested to hear the results too.

I don't have a spirometer, in fact never heard of it. Clarinet player, not barrel chested. The only way I could score a 5 on the DM float test was by drown proofing. I could get through the first 13 minutes (not easy) but no way the last 2 with hands out of water. Legs like rock. I can float on my back in salt water (barely). In a pool on my back my legs sink very quickly. This further confuses me about why I use so much weight. Maybe my top half is overly buoyant. Still could be that air in the BC thing though.

OK, the jump to conclusions approach didn't work. It is physics, so we break it into pieces.

I am very leg heavy due to a lifetime of running, cycling, hiking, etc. Drown proofing works great for me, arch my back and leave my face just out of the water. I do my hang and then a strong downward scull with both hands while I quickly exhale then inhale. I also have a large lung capacity from either genes, exercise, or both. Just last year during a sequence of swim classes, I found to my great surprise that I can sink and remain sunk in the shallow end of a pool by performing an extremely deep exhale. I also know how much lead it takes to sink me on full inhale. Rather surprising.

So, two questions:
1) How much lead does it take to sink you (in swim trunks) with a full but comfortable inhalation?
2) How much lead do you have to pile on top of your farmer john top and bottom to sink it?

That's...a lot. I'm about your size and weight, and with an alu backplate/wing (so a little negatieve right there), adding 10lbs is more than enough to sink me, and I suspect I can drop a few more (will test it out on the next dive trip). I can sink myself in just swim trunks with an exhale alone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom