Lousy at compass training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

went back today, just KNEW I wouold get it today. It really was comical. I kept ending up at a bouy and they told me how good I did and that I went straight to it...........all was great, excpet most of the time it was NOT the bouy I was heading too. LOL Lucky I am taking lessons wee time is not a factor. We finially diagnosed my problem, at least we think we did. I tend to nto hyold the compass level. Can't go tomorrow, but hopefully the weather will let me try again next week.

Of course the rest of my day was great........went down the big tunnel not just up it. Was colder than #$%#$ and was scary but FUN.

Did all my navigation training for Sports Diver in really low vis - at times 4' and below (horrible combination - silt bottom and PADI school doing an OW course in the same lake). My big problem is that after tearing my quad several times playing rugby my left leg is weaker than my right - if I close my eyes I swim in a circle. Hence if my compass work is slightly off and the vis is low enough that I can't combine compass and pilotage I can end up a long way off.

And believe me when I first started I was. I remember one dive where as I exited the lake the dive marshall still had tears in his eyes after watching the bubble trails of me and my buddy heading off at almost 90 degrees to the course I trying to follow. Twice :(

Skybird,

I doubt that you were towing a dive flag but that's a big one to watch out for. It will pivot you by dragging to one side especially if you don't have the visibility and features to swim to mile stones. You can have your body swimming on a heading but you are moving through the water diagonally and can end up way off course. Moral of the story.... Do not tow the flag and navigate. Divide the task loading.

Pete

skybird:
well, today I didn't get to "play" at the quarry. Today was compass training. All I can say is " I SUCK" Need MUCH practice. Im so glad I have a very patient, easy going instructor.

SkyBird
I just read an article on underwater navigation that might be helpful. Check out ukdivers.net-underwater navigation.
I recently accompanied my fifteen year old on a hunters safety course. The compass/navigation was extremely helpful. Ifound that practicing it on land was helpful. There is so much multitasking underwater it is nice to gain confidence with the compass (for me) prior to needing to use it wet. I will second the article in Divers Training that Spectrum mentioned Remember: Trust your compass! Good luck.
bob

Back
Top Bottom