Low Tech DIY diving setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much your life is worth? A few panfish?

Two of us already mentioned just to float a tank but I guess you don't want to because you need to spend money to become certified. You have poor reading comprehension. The brief description tells you point blank that you cannot use an unconverted scuba regulator for hookah, I don't care what the guy said on Amazon. Scuba regulators are made to operate at a pressure of around 120-150 PSI, you will need to respring any scuba regulator. You have no filter so you will breath oil, rust, etc. The compressor you are using is not powerful enough to drive air to a reasonable depth. There is a reason that hookah rigs are not cheap, the compressor from Keene is $300 alone. HINT: You may want to look at the specs of their products and find something similar.

Also what are you going to do for redundancy if the compressor quits? What about weights? a wetsuit?

See OP hasn't responded since June 2nd---date of his OP.......You don't think he went on & tried 'his method' ------AND--------??....

Nah---no way.......

Last edited:
See OP hasn't responded since June 2nd---date of his OP.......You don't think he went on & tried 'his method' ------AND--------??....

Nah---no way.......

I am cheaper than most but this guy is trying to cut too many corners to spear bluegills. I don't think he realizes that people can and have drown in relatively shallow water. He should really spend the money on a free diving course and have fun while waiting for a deal on a used rig.

...you cannot use an unconverted scuba regulator for hookah, I don't care what the guy said on Amazon.

Well, that is simply not true. I know many hull cleaners that use off-the-shelf SCUBA 2nd stage regs with their homebuilt hookahs. I think it is true that not all SCUBA 2nd stages will work in a hookah setup, but to say that none of them will just isn't correct.

That being said, I personally find that using a 2nd stage modified for use with hookah to be the best way to go.

In my experience, a second stage regulator can be used with a small oilless compressor and 5 micron filter. I set the compressor regulator at 60 PSI and it works pretty good. I am down less than 4 feet. My sailboat draft is 4.5 feet and the prop is about at 2-3 foot level. I can do useful work of cleaning the barnacles off the propeller. I have read of a ninja hiding technique in water. The ninja lays in water as deep as his sword scabbard that has a hole in both ends and is used as a snorkel, the scabbard hidden among the reeds. Have never tried this, don't own a sword scabbard. My only advice to anyone using compressed air is NEVER hold your breath, breath normal and don't ascend any faster than your bubbles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom