LP vs HP steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oh, and that was just for post count...

Actually, that one was just to be obnoxious, this one was for post count...

Nah, I'm still just trying to be obnoxious. I really can't seem to care about something as stupid as post count. Not sure what possible significance something so benign could have in your life.

Oddly enough I keep some of the show up every week or so topics in txt files on my computer so I don't have to bother looking up old posts and copy pasting. But sometimes searching and linking is still faster...

This topic is almost getting that bad.

Only 340 more to go to get to 10,000 posts.

So....how about LP vs HP for DOUBLES (for tech diving in florida waters..ie no drysuit, or cave diving in cave country) when getting an adequate fill is not an issue (my lds will fill HP to 3800 or so)..I can get a killer deal on two HP100s now but LP's seem to be preferred by many diving doubles..any reasons other than the air fill issue?

I ran a property for a couple of years that had heaps of hectares and even more posts
but no one counted them.
Only 8705 more to go to get to 10000 posts heh heh.

It would be very good if everybody standardised which tanks and hp and lp everybody is talking about.

So....how about LP vs HP for DOUBLES (for tech diving in florida waters..ie no drysuit, or cave diving in cave country) when getting an adequate fill is not an issue (my lds will fill HP to 3800 or so)..I can get a killer deal on two HP100s now but LP's seem to be preferred by many diving doubles..any reasons other than the air fill issue?
I used both X7-100s for doubles as well as LP 95s. The buoyancy and trim characteristics are similar for both X7-100s and LP95s.

If you can get 3600 psi fills then for only 10 more pounds per set, Faber LP 95s offer more gas than X7-100s. If both are filled to 3600 psi, the double LP 95s carry 259 cu ft compared to 209 for the X7-100s.

In south Florida as well as North Carolina I have noted my LP 95s normally get filled to around 3000 psi giving about 216 cu ft. That's a really small edge over X7-100's especially when diving thirds. So in that regard, X7-100s make more sense.

In cave country where 3600 psi on a low pressure 95 is the norm, the extra 50 cu ft over what you'd get in an X7-100 is important especially when the rest of the team has LP 95s or X8-130s.

And I thought that the only difference between LP and HP was the pressure stamped on the tank due to to silly DOT regulations. When in Florida I fill both LP and HP to 4,000 psi unless Wayne is behind in charging up his bank. I may be a little off on some of the numbers, but an LP 85 is basically an HP 100, while an LP 95 is an HP 119. It would sure be easier to just adopt the European standard of actual volume in liters so that the answer to this question would be obvious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom