Lumba Lumba – Pulau Weh – Serious Safety Concerns – and a dangerous incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a terrible experience. I’m so glad you are ok. In summer ’08 I also dove Lumba Lumba. After three boat dives, I elected to dive from shore.

On the first dive I asked to limit the max depth to 30 meter. The guide disappeared and soloed down to about 50 meters.

The second dive was in strong washing machine currents. One DMT was much too buoyant which kept the dive guide quite occupied in the already dangerous conditions. The newish diver with us was stressed/struggling and for quite some time - nobody seemed to notice or care.

The third dive was a “relaxing” nudibranch dive to about 25meters. The guide refused to ascend and knowingly forced my computer into mandatory deco time. Later I was ridiculed for being too conservative.

Other recreational divers dove to about 55 meters on a single Al80 in current and incurred mandatory deco. They weren’t carrying deco gas, as it was assumed they could kick back to the bottle hung beneath the boat. One of these divers confided that he almost was not able to swim back against the current.

The shore diving is quite safe and beautiful. Please be very careful if you consider boat diving.

Last edited:
Never hurts to :search: a name before going.

No joke. Hell will freeze over before I dive with that outfit.

No joke. Hell will freeze over before I dive with that outfit.
Well, I only see the two bad reports, altho they are quite significant. It still amazes me how many divers are too cheap to carry CO testers.

Well, I only see the two bad reports, altho they are quite significant. It still amazes me how many divers are too cheap to carry CO testers.

CO testers have nothing to do with this thread, Don. I respect your position on the matter however it has no place in this thread.

CO testers have nothing to do with this thread, Don. I respect your position on the matter however it has no place in this thread.
Well, it's carrying a CO tester and checking tanks is more inline with generally protection yourself and not just trusting operators as a lot of stuff is not as obvious as in this incident, but from this and the other thread...
The compressor room had two compressors which could each fill 4 tanks at once. The intake to the compressors was inside the room, and the only way in was via a single doorway.
in a tropical location, I think I can guarantee that some CO was evident.

Wow! That is a frightening story, I am glad that you're ok and it hasn't put you off diving.

Their poor attitude and complete disregard for safety should definitely be reported. On their website they do not appear to be affiliated with any certification body. Is this the case? I don't know the chain of command for reporting, but a call to DAN should clear things up.

Given all the red flags and dangerous incidents encountered... and as an experienced diver, I am astounded that you continued to put yourself at risk by diving with them, crazy... or did I misread your post?

Nic
As per my other post it has been reported to DAN, and also to PADI. Padi advised they werent sure what action they can take as it isn't a PADI resort. however i sent them photos showing the PADI logo on the board with the resort name on, which is outside. also the owners proudly display their framed PADI instructor certs on the wall.

From the beginning we continued to dive with them, but taking our own safety seriously. now, in hindsight maybe we should have moved on. but with limited accomodation, no other recomended operator on the island, and the dive shop having our deposit, well what would you do. It was also a 12 hour trek for us, using two planes a ferry, two minibusses and a taxi, something that none of us wanted to repeat in a hurry.

After the FIRE, we kept to beach dives only, and timed them to avoid the ins and outs of the dive boat

Yes, and they are taking action
I am glad you reported here and to the agencies, but what action is DAN supposedly going to take? I am not aware of them getting into such, but correct me if I am wrong.
thanks!​

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom