Lumba Lumba – Pulau Weh – Serious Safety Concerns – and a dangerous incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for having the guts to make the report. I have plans to dive Indonesia. I have a friend who considers it some of the best diving in the world and I value his opinion highly. I appreciate warnings about which operators are substandard.

Thanks for having the guts to make the report. I have plans to dive Indonesia. I have a friend who considers it some of the best diving in the world and I value his opinion highly. I appreciate warnings about which operators are substandard.

Your friend is right, fantastic diving in Indonesia - But yes always be cautious about who you dive with; in addition to interacting directly with the manager when booking your dives, scouting the web usually provides good pointers.

This sound like a place I'd want to have my carbon monoxide analyzer with me and test every tank before a dive.

This sound like a place I'd want to have my carbon monoxide analyzer with me and test every tank before a dive.
You and I do that anyway. If you there, let me load you my auxiliary unit as well.

Wow, 1st I'm glad nobody was hurt more than that, I wouldn't want to have a serious medical emergency on that island. I've actually spent 10 days there in 2010 (same shop).

Didn't see the compressor while it was running so I can't comment on that. But there was one afternoon where I had to skip a dive because I had the mother of all headaches, might have been CO, not sure I don't have an analyzer (yet).

I thought the guides were actually pretty good (slow dives, not going into current, ...), but I don't think it's the same crew. I'm friend on FB with a bunch of the foreign DMs/Instructors who were there when I was there and all of them are now working elsewhere now.

The dive equipment looked ok I guess, I had all my gear so I didn't look too much. But the wetsuits were way past eol, not that you need one there though.

Dear all, I think that this is a pretty misleading report of the activities typical of Lumba Luma. I can only speak from my own experince. Having completed 198 dives at the various sites in Pulah Weh, I can safely say that it provides one of the most rewarding dive experiences that I have encountered. Most definately is right up there in my world travels, and I would have little hesitation in heading back to Lumba Lumba, as I have done over the last 5 years. Owners, crew and so called casual instructors are extremely friendly. In my experience (from over 28 years diving), I consider Lumba Lumba to be one of the best run diving centres that I have encountered, and they have always demonstrated a high degree of safety conciousness when I have been there. Sorry mate, but I can safely say that I would well recommend Pula Weh, and if you don't go there you will miss out, if you do, this guy will be proven wrong.

You and I do that anyway. If you there, let me load you my auxiliary unit as well.

Yes, we do :). I even test the air from my LDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom