lungs hurt after diving..have I hurt myself?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As has been suggested, call DAN.

But lets not lynch the instructor just yet. None of us were there. OW students are stressed and forget things. What was the experience of other students in the class? Did everyone not know it was a "one breath exhale"?

I'll second this. Many students get too carried away on exhaling too much volume, rather than simply to keep the airway open.

I suggest you ensure that you're healthy, then it's just a matter of practice, is all. Let out a smaller stream of air.

Try making a "zzz" sound instead. It lets you conserve air while keeping the airway open.

Not sure where you took your course, but - at least in the U.S. - most instructors automatically sign students up for free DAN insurance during the class.

Just curious. I have never heard about this. I'm not an instructor. I'm a DM going through AI and I dive with a bunch of instructors. Not a single one has mentioned this.

Is this something that the instructor actively does? Is it automatically done when you sign up for OW? Is it any agency?

Just curious. I have never heard about this. I'm not an instructor. I'm a DM going through AI and I dive with a bunch of instructors. Not a single one has mentioned this.

Is this something that the instructor actively does? Is it automatically done when you sign up for OW? Is it any agency?

I have heard of some doing this, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. Not in my experience anyways.

Not sure where you took your course, but - at least in the U.S. - most instructors automatically sign students up for free DAN insurance during the class.

Some do, not all. I really do not think it is commonly done. I presume that you have dive insurance?

I have heard of some doing this, but it doesn't seem to be the norm. Not in my experience anyways.

Some do, not all. I really do not think it is commonly done. I presume that you have dive insurance?

Thanks guys!

I never new about this. Sort of seems silly not to encourage students to sign up. I didn't see how the instructor could do it.

Yes, I've got a lot of insurance now. :depressed:

It is an optional program offered by DAN not specific to any agency. Depends on the instructor whether they want to offer it or not. I offer it, but others in the same shop I teach out of don't. Considering the various required forms that need to be completed prior to actually starting the class, I'm not surprised that some instructors choose not to add another the the list.

It should be noted that the Insurance is only good up to the last training dive of the program. You can be sure DAN will contact you to join soon after.

Tortuga68..Just read RJP's post.. thanks for the link and laugh!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom