M5 to M1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello

I just upgrade from the EM5 to the EM1 with the good advice from Phil . I had the opportunity to try it during a workshop in Anilao with Reef Photo and Vidéo , I was not at the moment decided to change because it was a lot of money to spend and that I was really satisfy from my EM5 . But the fact is that I found the autofocus really more quick especially in macro and that is very important for me as I live half time in the Philippines and do a lot of macro shots there . And also I as temptated by the 1/320ieme synchronising speed for the flashes , and also the Nauticam housing has been very much improve vs the EM5 one . Finally I have take the plunge , mainly because I'm63 years old , retired , able to dive often , and that I own a little money ..so ...
Now that I've been able to use it a little more with my external viewfinder I don't regret too have upgrade . I find also that the image quality is probably better on the EM1 , but I've not seen so much differences betwenn the two EVF as it has been said ... In my feeling the weight of the EM5 and EM1 are identical underwater .
But the EM5 remain an excellent camera and if you don't dive so much I think you should keep it for a while .

Concerning the Macro lenses they are more than usefull with the 60 mm which is the same than a 85-90 mm in the DX Dslr system , where nobody ask the question about their utility ..
Now I use the Nauticam SMC and also the multiplier .
The first picture is the one of a hairy schrimp ( 3 to 4 mm animal ) taken with the SMC , not cropped of course , I'm really sorry to not have been able to show it in a higher size , but I did not succed , you can see it here in bigger and better definition : https://www.flickr.com/photos/7189548@N05/13988164703/in/set-72157644524400104

P4212061-2-1.jpg

the other has been taken this morning in the Mediterranéan cold water ): It is a kind of anémona Parazoanthus axinellae , the last one with the 60 mm alone , the second with the 60 mm and SMC and the first 60mm and SMC and multiplier at the minimum distance of focus . I must say that the multiplier is not very easy to use and can be usefull only under special circumstances , but the SMC when you are used to wet macro lenses is no more nor less dificult than the Subsee + 10 and or the Saga +15

P5090050-1.jpgP5090044-1.jpgP5090010-1.jpg

Yes I think that it is absolutely justified to use wet macro lense with a 60 mm if you feel the need to get higher magnification

I switched from the e-m5 to the e-m1 for a couple of reasons. Faster autofocus (it makes the 45 macro actually useable) and the viewfinder. I use the Nauticam 45 exclusively and with the e-m5 it was like looking at a crappy TV with a telescope.
Bill

On SLR's you normally have a better focus "lock" on moving subjects due to the phase detection auto focus.
Now the M1 has phase detection also, will it be able to use phase detection autofocus on m43 lenses - and thus being better for moving subjects?

I ask as I often take pictures of moving subjects under water.. or sometimes I'm the one moving while taking macro pictures. The M1 could have a major edge over M5 if this is the case.

Back
Top Bottom