Machining Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, what I'd really like to have is a block that fits on top of the lid in place of the male breathing loop connections that puts them at a 45 degree angle and has a place for a 4th cell to monitor the inhalation side as it comes out of the can...

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want something that I'm injecting pure O2 into to be made out of Titanium. Never know what kind of interesting results that could end up with.

Nahhh, don't worry about it.

"But sir, it's just a wafer" :shocked2: It's just a little puff of O2.

Actually, what I'd really like to have is a block that fits on top of the lid in place of the male breathing loop connections that puts them at a 45 degree angle and has a place for a 4th cell to monitor the inhalation side as it comes out of the can...

You like that better than the 4th cell in the lung.

A spare canister is $750-900 retail and Steve gets the metal for free. It says he lives in PA.

If he's at a state school I don't feel so bad. I'm a tax paying citizen.

He might not be able to spend 8 hrs a day playing video games like most college students since he's an engineer, but his time is still more free than those of us with the wife, kids, jobby job, etc. He might actually be able to pump out some custom pieces and make a little coin! :)

-matt

I mean, I get metal for free unless I am trying to build like a roll cage for my WRX or mass producing parts. If its small stuff that's fine. So if I were to mass produce a part I would be charged a small fee but for the fact I am making money, I would allow it.

Yeah I go to Pennsylvania College of Technology (Affiliate of Penn State). And yes, I have some free time since the class load is smaller than my last 2 years (was in Civil Engineering for the past 2 years, had to drop out since lack of interest). I don't have much besides a girlfriend, a job (Sheetz Convience Stores) and school.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want something that I'm injecting pure O2 into to be made out of Titanium. Never know what kind of interesting results that could end up with.

I am willing to make parts that are accessories only. However if I do make a part for the breathing system of Scuba, I may produce a waiver to cover myself from any accidents (as all that I am making is merely experimental and for a few extra bucks on the side.)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/294366-diy-examples.html

I started a thread on DIY Examples awhile ago to give people some ideas of what can be made, and in the hopes of getting more ideas as to what I can make myself. So feel free to add to it once you start making stuff (pictures encouraged).

I will have to take a look, I am loving my new major and can't wait to start making some of my own stuff.

Scallop or abalone pry bar. I actually have one I want to make up but can't find anywhere that won't charge me a fortune to do it. It's about 16" long (could be 12") made of a 7075-T6 1" or 1.5" aluminium rod, a handle about 7" long and then a narrower and flat section the rest of the length that tapers down to about a 1/8" rounded/dulled "tip". Of course I could always just spend $20 on one at the store too. Oh and importantly a nice flat end on the end of the handle so you have a good surface you can use to hit with your hand.

Could always take a crow-bar with me too I guess. But this would be so much cooler.

Gauges for checking food size (lobsters: abalone;etc) Din plugs; Adapters (for spearguns and for regs); Tools (spanner wrench: holders ect)
I think you have a good list from all of the people! Post some pics if you make any thing!
See you topside! John

Well, if you put together a CNC program for a backplate, make sure you use a radiused end mill to finish mill the strap slots and finish the edges. Will save ya bookoodles of time filing and sanding.

At my previous place of employment I used to make backplates and other incidentals. Used a metal cutting laser and CNC break-press. Had to finish the strap slots and edges by hand.

Good luck . . .

the K

I might suggest using a champher tool in lieu of a radius tool. Z depth / material thickness variations are much more forgiving with a champher tool than with a radius tool.

Tobin

That's true.

Remember when I joined the "Z Down" club. Rather embarassing moment.

Good set up and hold downs ya can do it,though . . .

How's it goin, T?
the K

Back
Top Bottom