Mail-Order Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradlw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dropped into our local Diver's Supply yesterday for a look around and to talk with them about certifications for my wife and kids. I spent a bit of time looking at masks....because my old primary mask is looking pretty sad. It still works and still seals well, but at some point a bug got a hold of the skit edges just a bit...and the clear silicone is kinda gross and not clear anymore!

I'm leaning towards a lower volume mask with dark/opaque silicone. They have a bunch of masks but not many that appealed to me and few of them really fit well

I'll probably just go back when I take the kids in for theirs and take a closer look and pick one from their inventory because I kinda doubt if any of the shops around here have a larger selection so I got to thinking about mail-order....but how would that even work trying to find a good fit?

Are these things consistent so people that order them have verified fit in a local store first...if the model in the store fits the same brand and model will always fit too? But how to find one that fits?

check out our Minimus Mask, it fits a huge proportion of people who buy it. If not, I got your back.

Perfect fit Guarantee:​

Hey Dive Buddies,
I’m so confident in how well these awesome freedive masks fit, I want to prove it to you.
In the very remote chance my MAKO Minimus Freedive Mask does not fit, you can send it back within 90 days of the purchase date for a full refund.

Avoid the horrible reflections that come with clear skirts. Try the Mako or buy from the shop, save the on line for spares once you find one that fits, the Mako may be the end of the journey though.

I've bought mail order masks before, and while it worked out... it is a total crap shoot and you are counting on a good return policy if it doesn't work out well. As Lex said, ordering spares that you know fit well is a different ball game.
Further, if you are going to gamble on mail order try MAKO. I don't have their mask (probably will try one at some point, though), but I do have their boat coat. I got it through a fund raising auction for ScubaBoard, and the process kinda fell through the cracks.... when I reached out to them they made it good in a hurry, identified where the issue occurred, and took steps to prevent it happening again (showing both great customer support, and the generosity involved in donating to help fund this board). In short, I would have full faith in any of their guarantees... to include the no questions asked fit guarantee for the Minimus.

Respectfully,

James

check out our Minimus Mask, it fits a huge proportion of people who buy it. If not, I got your back.

Just got this mask, and love it! And the price was right!

The fit guarantee is what convinced me to order it without trying it on. I didn't exercise the guarantee, so I can't review that.

I just wish it came with reader lens options...

Mako customer service has been good to me. I did a review of a dive flag float a while back. Issue was handled immediately and professionally. Of I need a mask I'd give it a shot.

I'm not sure what Dive Gear Express's return policy is, but a number of SB'ers, myself included, find their low-volume mask to be a great value.

Mako Minimus is a good mask. My wife and I used the Mako for a couple of years without issue. We recently switched to a Hollis M1 only because it had a slightly better seal, but take the Makos with us as a great backup that can easily work as a primary. You can't beat their return policy, so have nothing to lose.

Back
Top Bottom