Main differences between PADI and SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I understand he means you can officially be affiliated with a dive shop but in reality teach the course as an independent instructor (only using the shop for certification purposes)

Hmm... so a profit-driven instructor is better off leaving PADI (who is reviled for being profit-driven) and going with SDI. Go figure!

Note: not picking on you, just found it funny in light of the OP's comment about PADI being profit-driven.

As to SDI "taking a more modern approach to training than most other agencies"... I'm genuinely interested in understanding what you mean by that. I've recently looked for differences along those lines across the various agencies and have not seen anything to support that notion in any meaningful way.

No offense taken! note that I have not said ANYTHING about criticizing PADI for being profit driven! It would be great if we could do all this diving stuff and not worry about making money. Simple fact is that ALL the agencies, shops, instructors, etc do this for profit. The best of us strive to do it honestly and in a straightforward manner. :cool2:

I'm a SDI/TDI instructor. I was told specifically by the President that I could not teach independently, that I had to teach through a shop because I can't certify a student without listing a shop. I have no idea what you mean by "functionally independent. "

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I believe SDI requires affiliation with a shop to certify a student but TDI does not. I think the technical programs are available to be used "independently".

I'm a SDI/TDI instructor. I was told specifically by the President that I could not teach independently, that I had to teach through a shop because I can't certify a student without listing a shop. I have no idea what you mean by "functionally independent. "

Ask Jim Lapenta - or any of the many other independent instructors who are SDI/TDI instructors - to explain the idea of being "functionally independent." Perhaps when they certify a diver they do list the facility that they "affiliated with" when they filled out their initial paperwork? That would seem to be the case.

I have an SDI cert issued for a course I took from a "functionally independent" SDI instructor. The facility listed on the back is located in a landlocked western US state. The course was completed thousands of miles from there in another country. A full continent and an ocean away. I've never set foot in that particular state, much less that particular SDI facility. Neither had the instructor... who may have never even visited the United States as far as I know.

Ask Jim Lapenta - or any of the many other independent instructors who are SDI/TDI instructors - to explain the idea of being "functionally independent." Perhaps when they certify a diver they do list the facility that they "affiliated with" when they filled out their initial paperwork? That would seem to be the case.

I have an SDI cert issued for a course I took from a "functionally independent" SDI instructor. The facility listed on the back is located in a landlocked western US state. The course was completed thousands of miles from there in another country. A full continent and an ocean away. I've never set foot in that particular state, much less that particular SDI facility. Neither had the instructor... who may have never even visited the United States as far as I know.

As a TDI instructor they can teach indepenently. As a SDI instructor they must be affiliated with a dive shop.
Back in the day SDI had something called a training facility which was defined as something different than a brick and mortar retail store but had to still have a business licence, a compressor, some rental gear and some other assets normally found in a dive shop.
I have such a facility. I don't stock product but I have access to product and to material through SDI.
A few years back SDI/TDI did away with that definition but those of us who had been with them at the time were Grandfathered in. M
y situation is becoming a rarity these days but it is still different than an instructor who teaches from one shop or resort to another.
I have had my facility for more than a dozen years and IO expect those names you haver mentioned are in a similar situation.

Reactions: RJP
To the OP: What is it you want from further training? If you decide that, then go and find an instructor and curriculum that provides it.

All classes (with perhaps some extremely rare exceptions) are run with an eye to profit and loss. Dive shops exist to make a profit, regardless of the agency with which they associate. Instructors, if full-time, need to make money, and even in our local model, where most instructors have day jobs and teach because they like to, they don't intend to LOSE money doing it. Dive shops CAN put significant pressure on instructors to cut costs -- cut pool time, use older equipment, accept higher ratios, etc. But dive shops can also have economies of scale -- I know when we teach private classes, the costs are high in part because we have to pay "retail" for our pool time, whereas the shop has a standing contract with the pool, and can spread the pool costs over multiple students and sometimes multiple class activities taking place concurrently.

Decide what you want from your training, and then ask questions of whatever instructional facility or instructor you are considering, to see if you will get it. The majority of agencies offering recreational diving classes are more similar than different. If you want to take classes from a nonprofit, look into GUE classes -- they are offered in Egypt! You will get excellent instruction, but you will pay a lot for it.

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom