Maintain your gear, and be FAMILIAR with how to use it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Well I just lived through what is now going to be my "most frightening moment". I would have posted in that thread, but I think this deserves it's own discussion. It's a sobering reminder to service your gear regularly and be familiar with how to use it. Develop muscle memory so when the poo hits the fan, what you do comes natural and you're able to live through it.

First off, let me say that my gear (dry suit, BCD, FFM and regs) is away getting serviced. Did a wet dive at a local lake (driving an hour and a half to get there is local for me) and because this was the first time since Mexico (December 2018) that I'd actually been out (other than pool time) I didn't want to miss out on another dive because my gear was away, so I rented a BC from my local guys. The BC I rented was an odd one. It was back inflate, but the front was a zip-up panel. Also, since I had been diving pretty much exclusively in my i3 BC, it's been a while since I used a "normal" inflator. I've always been used to it being on my left hip.

The profile calls for about 20 feet deep. Intro dive as only the DM has been there before, and he's only been there once. Man-made lake, goes as deep as about 170 FFW, but there's a bit of a plateau 20 feet deep until the drop off. Our plan calls for exploration around the plateau as a local club has set up lines to follow to some of the attractions the've set up over the years. All sounds like fun.

Get to the lake, and the DM gives me two BC's. I pick this one because it's a back-inflate. I'm buying BP/W soon so I wanted to "sort of" get used to it. (That part went fine, by the way. Trimmed awesome, I was a tad overweighted though.) Get geared up and practice dumping and adding air, everything seems fine. Get through the first dive and I'm all over the place because I'm overweighted. Finish that dive and pull four pounds off. We bbq some dogs and have a snack and we basically enjoy our SI time.

Second dive comes around and instead of switching out to my HP 130 I keep the HP 100 on as we only planned a short dive. We turn the dive and start heading back in and I look at my gauge and I've got tons of ar left. Easily going to finish above 500 psi, dive's going nice and easy. I'm still a bit overweighted for this dive even though I shed weight, so every now and then I've got to add or purge air. I add a short burst because I'm still not used to the BC I'm using, so I still don't have it dialed in. Add a short burst again and things go sideways. I hear the inflator stop (or at least I do in my mind) but it doesn't stop. It keeps going. Adding air to my ****** rental BC. The inflator button is stuck. The purge valves start dumping air constantly. I start rising a bit...though I expect to stop rising pretty soon....nope....keep rising. I start finning to stay down because I'm going up way too fast. Then the purge valves on the BC start dumping air. That's the second thing I notice, and because I've never heard valves dumping like that, I thought it was my tank that had sprung a leak, so I start to panic. Finning hard to stay down, still rising. I manage to stay at 20 feet for a bit, but then I develop cramps in both calves. I reach for the DM (he guesses there's something going on but he's still in the "wtf" stage and doesn't realize what's happening) but it's no use. I manage to remember to exhale on the way up and I breach the surface like the Dallas on Red October. Panic really sets in because I don't know the condition of my BC and tank. I think about ditching weights just in case but as I'm not familiar with the BC I'm using I can't find the releases. DM breaches the water and calms me down and tells me that my BC is full. Calmed down pretty quick, but my calves were still cramped and I couldn't get to shore on my own, so he towed me in. Gear comes off and I discover my tank is completely empty. Crap.

One group of our team decided to go deeper for the second dive. Glad that wasn't me. I would have swapped out for my 130 and I might have had the same problem at 80 FFW, which probably would have probably resulted in a different ending.

As soon as we got to shore the DM said I did pretty good for absolutely "losing it". Didn't say much about the BC, but he probably didn't want to admit fault as he's affiliated with the LDS that rented me the BC. No biggie. I learned an important lesson or two. Never renting gear. Ever. And I'm never going to question paying someone (who knows what they're doing) to check my stuff over to make sure it works. Obviously they'll remove the corrosion that made the inflator stick.

DM asked me later on if I still loved diving. No question about it. Gotta keep goingthere so I can redeem myself. The vis is SO MUCH BETTER than my actual local lake (only a 45 minute drive) and I can go deeper than 30 feet when I feel I'm ready to. Ocean, no problem hitting 100 FSW.......cold local lake with 5 feet of vis.....Houston....we have a problem.

Any thoughts?

So I guess my first question is why did you not pull the hose off the inflator when you realised the button is stuck?

But I agree, particular attention has to be paid to inflator/deflator valves. On top of rinsing well, I also suggest putting some silicone grease on the inflator coupling hole, connecting the hose, and then shooting it through the valve by adding air. I do this every 25 or so dives to keep the inside lubricated and from sticking. I probably would do that if I had to use rental gear, which I would avoid like the plague.

Glad you came out ok.

Thoughts.... ShitDog.. ThatTwasnt nice. Is why ( against much personal opposition frm her) I chose and bought my own gear. Even the current dive i am on, the shop dont like it! BUT i know it and am comfy in it. Glad you came out ok an follow yr lil voice in yr head. K

So I guess my first question is why did you not pull the hose off the inflator when you realised the button is stuck?

But I agree, particular attention has to be paid to inflator/deflator valves. On top of rinsing well, I also suggest putting some silicone grease on the inflator coupling hole, connecting the hose, and then shooting it through the valve by adding air. I do this every 25 or so dives to keep the inside lubricated and from sticking. I probably would do that if I had to use rental gear, which I would avoid like the plague.

Glad you came out ok.
I guess I forgot that part. My immediate reaction was to go for my left hip because I'm used to diving an i3 and the hose connects right behind the lever. The inflator hose on the BC I rented was also super long, so when I went for my left chest I couldn't find it right away. I started tracing my way down (it hang at about belly level, and I'm 6'2" - how long does it need to be?!) but abandoned that when I entered full on panic mode.

I guess I forgot that part. My immediate reaction was to go for my left hip because I'm used to diving an i3 and the hose connects right behind the lever. The inflator hose on the BC I rented was also super long, so when I went for my left chest I couldn't find it right away. I started tracing my way down (it hang at about belly level, and I'm 6'2" - how long does it need to be?!) but abandoned that when I entered full on panic mode.

I understand - very easy to forget these things when the situation hits out of nowhere. I suggest practicing this at your safety stops if there is nothing to look at, detach and reattach the hose to get a sense for how it feels to do that when the hose is under pressure, as it will 'pop' and take a bit more effort. And on a cruisy dive you may even want to try and pull the hose off at some stage and end the dive only using your mouth to inflate.

Safety stops are a good time to practice anything from spare mask deployment to DSMB, to octo or pony switches, to inflator hose shenanigans etc.

A few lake dives ago I unknowingly knocked off my inflator hose when I was purging. As a new diver that made for another WTF moment when I tried adding air and discovered it wasn't happening. Was it a huge deal? Not really. Made me think about working that lever with gloves though.

After that crapshow I practiced in pool with my gloves on and I can confidently work the lever without knocking my hose off. I can also instinctively find the the lever without even thinking about where it is if I need to. With my gear, no problem. Obviously I'm going to have to practice with my BP/W when I buy it because I haven't found one that comes with an i3 valve yet....not that I'm actually looking for that.

What lessons did you learn? I can point out several significant things but I'm curious what your takeaways are.

Obviously I'm going to have to practice with my BP/W when I buy it because I haven't found one that comes with an i3 valve yet....not that I'm actually looking for that.

You will find that the 'traditional' system on the wing you will get is fine and there is no need for an i3. With diving, I find that universal and simple often has more advantages over time than specific and more complex or feature rich. Even if it is a situation where someone rescuing you is looking for your inflator and has never seen a jacket with a little lever down there.

Well, having never heard of this i3 design, and just now looking it up, I have to say that is the most gimmicky inflation system I've seen yet. A lever on the hip? A separate manual inflator tucked up in a pocket on the shoulder? WTH? OP my comments are not directed at you, rather Aqua Lung for selling that nutty design.

I think the big take away here is this, and I'll preface it by saying I'm not part of the DIR/GUE cult, but at a minimum there's something to be said about using standard equipment configurations. If you would have been diving a standard BCD from the start, a stuck inflator sould have been no big deal as you would just disconnect the hose and carry on with your dive. Considering the fact we often spend a lot of money to dive and sometimes our personal equipment isn't in order and so rather than piss away a lot of money we want the ability to dive any rig, anytime. Sticking with the configuration that 99% of scuba divers use would help to eliminate this unfamiliarity and confusion the next time you borrow or rent a BC.

You got lucky. Had some gas got trapped in your lungs on the uncontrolled ascent, well, you know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom