Majuro, Marshall Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danmcewan

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm new to the board so first off hello, I'm currently residing in the Majuro, Marshall Islands I've moved here from San Diego this past summer to take a job on island as a purchasing manager.

I wanted to throw the idea around and see where it goes. I have a 2 bedroom place here access to a compressor and loads of AL 80's and led. I'd be open to sharing my spot with some fellow divers, shall any choose to take the flight out. Just looking to network and do the same with other divers around the world. I have access to a few small boats most anytime with advanced planning as well.

-Kommol
Danny

Hey Danny! I know this is an old post, but are you on-island? I and a colleague will be in Majuro in August and I'm having a hard time finding diver operators. Thanks!

I am moving back to the Marshall Islands in August as well. I was told by someone working at the college that one of the partners of Bako Divers is still around and operates the compressor still and has tanks for rent. I know there's someone with a functioning compressor because people from the college go diving and there's been recent photos in the newspaper of people diving. Now regarding what kinds of equipment are available for rent, I don't know. I just bought a whole new rig with everything except tanks, so I'm good to go come August!

Hey Danny! I know this is an old post, but are you on-island? I and a colleague will be in Majuro in August and I'm having a hard time finding diver operators. Thanks!

Great news! I just got in touch with some people and apparently there IS a shop open and running right now, in addition to the boats the Reimers have. Look up Raycrew at raycrew?????????????????????????????????????????????? I haven't yet heard from them, but it looks promising.

Anyway, you say you're moving "back" in August....sounds like you've been there before. Any favorite dives? I haven't found a lot of information about the area....

---------- Post added ----------

Hmm, not sure what's with that website link, but it's raycrew . jp (no spaces :) )

Last edited:
My favorite dives in Majuro are out near Kalalin (Kolalen), which is on the opposite side of the atoll from the city area. The coral out there is remarkable. You can snorkel some, but the best coral is about 60-70 feet deep if I remember right. Go here and look at the dive site map. Diving?raycrew. Around Kolalen there's a dive called the "shark chute" that's usually great. The aquarium dives (marked on the map) are really cool because the fish schools get stacked up in the currents there and you just hang out and watch everything pass by. Most of the dives I've done out near Kolalen have been drift dives. There's also some neat pinnacles in the lagoon. I remember one had an unexploded bomb from WW2 in it, which was surprising (and a little scary) to see. There's also nice wrecks in the lagoon. The Parking Lot, lots of various WW2 relics all in a row, should not be missed. The Cen-Pac freighter is a neat dive, as is the Ratak Ralik freighter. There's also a Grumman Duck and a Hellcat in the lagoon that are pretty cool. I think there's remnants of a Dauntless torpedo plane somewhere near the Parking Lot, but it's in a lot deeper water and I've never seen it.

Arno, which is 10 miles east of Majuro has superb coral diving as well, and is well worth the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom