Make dive wing retractable (or smaller when not fully inflated)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO, the only good reason to bungee a wing is to change the lift characteristics. The idea is to trade unwanted lift for the ability to make it a forward vs. rearward lift device. I'm doing same right now with a 60# OMS wing.

I am having tabs inserted where needed by someone who has been making/altering divewear since the 60's. PM me if you wish to do the same. I do not advise that you just wrap bungee material around the wing through eyelets. Yes, it will work, but the loose bungee loops tend to become a mess when the wing is fully deflated.

There is plenty of wings that have an elastic strap around it, so please do not come with all your "it's a death trap" I have heard them before just as many times as I have heard those who tell me that it isn't true.
and it will by the way also only be used on shallow dives, where I can easily swim to the surface incase of an emergency.

Do you mean the "Bungee wings of death", which is their proper name?

Often the problem with bungee on the wings is for one they will hold air trapped in the folds between the bungees. Two if there is a failure at one of the vents you can not keep air in the bladder, as the bungee will force the air out from the bungees constricting the wing. Without the bungee you can keep the failed part at the bottom and still fill the BC with air until at the surface where you can dump your weights.

Ask the purchaser if you can exchange the extra large sweater for one that fits you properly...errr BC. Haven't you ever exchanged a gift before?

...//... loose bungee loops tend to become a mess when the wing is fully deflated.

oms_red.jpg

*Image stolen from the internet*

can you tell us what wing you are using so we can get a better idea of what we are actually up against? Speccing a wing for the types of tanks being used is completely idiotic, since most steel tanks have the same basic buoyancy characteristics. Excluding grossly overfilling tanks, most tanks are somewhere between 7 and about 12lbs negative in the water when they are full. For those tanks, safe wing sizes, are at minimum, 35lbs and 45lbs respectively. If this supposed huge wing isn't tacoing too bad, being a bit oversize isn't going to be anything other than a minus nuissance. Now, if you are using a twinset of aluminum tanks we have a whole different story. We really need to know what wing you actually have.

Retractor type systems also have the problem of a wing not being able to be orally inflated to full capacity because the strength of the bungee is often stronger than the lungs so you will never get it inflated to it's full capacity which is part of why they are called "wings of death". You need bungee strong enough and consistent enough to hold that wing down against the air bubble which can often be 15-20lbs positive, and that is far more pressure than your lungs can exert. I get that it means a lot to your buddy, but your options are, different tanks, or let us know what wing you actually have and see how bad it really is. You can do this on land, just set the whole rig up, fully inflate it, and shoot us a picture.

If you go with bungees DO NOT wrap them on the topside (side facing the surface when diving). If you do the bungees act as a dam preventing free air movement and can lead to air trapping.

The Dive Rite wing SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Rec Series has the bungee system on the bottom side of the wing. I have a similar arrangement with my wing for use in sidemount to prevent tacoing - except my wing restraints attach to my backplate. If the bungees only tighten up the bottom panel, but not either the gusset or the top panel then even in a valve failure there is still enough slack to allow some air retention, nor is it difficult to inflate by mouth.

Actually I wouldn't use a bungee at all. Lace a non-stretchable string through the loops and adjust to a maximum buoyancy needed for the dive/configuration.

can you tell us what wing you are using so we can get a better idea of what we are actually up against? Speccing a wing for the types of tanks being used is completely idiotic, since most steel tanks have the same basic buoyancy characteristics. Excluding grossly overfilling tanks, most tanks are somewhere between 7 and about 12lbs negative in the water when they are full. For those tanks, safe wing sizes, are at minimum, 35lbs and 45lbs respectively. If this supposed huge wing isn't tacoing too bad, being a bit oversize isn't going to be anything other than a minus nuissance. Now, if you are using a twinset of aluminum tanks we have a whole different story. We really need to know what wing you actually have.

Retractor type systems also have the problem of a wing not being able to be orally inflated to full capacity because the strength of the bungee is often stronger than the lungs so you will never get it inflated to it's full capacity which is part of why they are called "wings of death". You need bungee strong enough and consistent enough to hold that wing down against the air bubble which can often be 15-20lbs positive, and that is far more pressure than your lungs can exert. I get that it means a lot to your buddy, but your options are, different tanks, or let us know what wing you actually have and see how bad it really is. You can do this on land, just set the whole rig up, fully inflate it, and shoot us a picture.

i have twin 7L. Steel tanks
and the wing is "Polaris XT 50 with premium harness"

it might not be that bad if they are spaced far enough out though, looks very similar to the halcyons. You wouldn't want to try to retain that style wing anyway, it wouldn't do you much good. Best solution would be bigger tanks

What is "stigma of bungeed wings" that I didn't understand fully.

I was referring to the strong view held by a part of the diving community that adding bungee to a wing is a dangerous practice... I think you got a taste of that, already.

How tight is your spring when the wing is empty?
How tight is it when fully inflated?

I have no technical means to measure the tension, so I'll respond with the scientific "not very tight" :) I can tell you however that when fully deflated it doesn't look as crumbled as the OMS picture posted by lowviz (mine's a double-bladdered wing - that may, or may not, have something to do with it).

I could post a picture but the wing is currently in a big container, making slowly its way back to the UK from the Middle East due to family relocation. Funnily enough, because of this, I've recently dived a couple of times on double 12s using rental wings (without bungee) and I've had some issues releasing all the air in the wing: air remained trapped -I assume at the sides- as rolling on one side and venting the kidney valve had no effect and a vertical position in the water had to be used; this is something I don't experience with my bungeed wing (for the avoidance of any doubt, I'm not blaming the un-bungeed wing, it might very well be my diving style).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom