Wing Drainage to Save You or your Crew's Back

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Whether you're climbing the ladder or pulling the rig up over the gunwale, the less water in your wing the lighter it is going to be. And if you're properly weighted, your bladder is nearly empty at the end of a dive which means the wing is likely full of a gallon or two of water. That's 8.5 to 17 lbs.

My DiveRite wing has just two small drainage grommets, and noticeably full of water when my rig hits the deck. These appear to be 316 stainless steel since there's no signs of rust. I couldn't find any 316 grommets nor did I want to take the bladder out to avoid the risk of puncturing it using blunt conventional grommet installation methods.

So I found these plastic snap grommets that go together with a good amount of thumb force. One review showed a tarp cover beat to hell by a storm, yet the grommets held. That was good enough for me. $5 and Prime was also good enough.

So now I have lots of wing drainage.

20230717_162948.jpg

Would it be possible to have the exact link to the gromets in a PM, please ? One of the stainless steel gromets on my DR Rec Exp just disappeared recently after years of service and I fear the fabric of the wing will tear but I can't find any replacement easy to fit to the wing.

Some manufacturers did that with a coarse coated fibreglass mesh that deteriorated

So you lift plastic snap grommets from the text, you look and by magic, you get this

after this

Currently I'm pushing a few of these

044.JPG

and moving some of my own excess water around

041.JPG

Builds extra strength enabling me to lift all the excess wing water over the gunwales even with doubles

When climbing the ladder, I pause for just that reason - so I don't bring buckets of water on deck.

Unfortunately, seems to annoy the folks still in the water ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom