Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post to this board. I was really overjoyed to see this thread.

I am one of those old divers who am taking up the sport again after many years absence. I have recently completed cert classes with my teen age boys. My experience with instructors/classes was a great deal less then satisfactory. The quality of the instruction was great the wow factor stuff was not to be found.

I am a small business owner that was looking for a way to do some quality things with my boys. Diving has filed the bill but it has been a struggle from poor rental equipment, no upgrade available, to large classes, to hurried teachers, etc.

Capt. Dave may be over my budget but I would really have prefered an upgraded class routine which I would have been happy to pay for. I also considered certifying in a foreign location but was nervous about the quality of instruction available and not knowing for sure ahead of time who was giving it.

I hope some of you take this stuff to heart I believe the industry needs it.

Thanks,
Camper

Welcome to the Board! Seems like you jumped into the middle of an "interesting' thread...

Well, if you want to discuss any aspect of scuba, this is the place to be! Most of our threads are a little less controversial than this one and we hope you will join us. As I am wont to say: if you have questions, we have answers; if you have answers, we have questions.

And if you would like a recommendation for a scuba class/teacher, I have a first rate one for you. And if you really want a "foriegn" locale, how about the US Virgin Islands? A very pleasant tropical paradise where you can get first class instruction for PADI certification; it will take about a week.

Try this link and ask if Frank Vince is available:

http:www.sawyerdive.vi/classes.html

Joewr

:mean:
Enough of the kibitzing. It’s time to move ahead. Since there seems to be no real concrete additions to making money as a scuba instructor here goes!

This is going to really get me some flack and e mail but here goes.

New scuba divers are like baby ducks. They imprint on the Instructor. In the business of teaching scuba we say “Monkey see and Monkey do” This is how we teach by perfection of the skills with perfect demonstrations (under perfect conditions). The new divers imprint the skills and there FIRST scuba Instructor!
This is guy who held their hand. Got them through the skills, perhaps even the instructor who they perceived even saved their lives.

Once imprinted it is irreversible.
If you are trying to attract students to your advanced courses and your specialties and they were certified else where forget it it will not work. It’s too late! They will not have the same affinity for you as your original students. The only exception to this is someone who is already certified enters our seminar and re-certifies.
So don’t waist your time on the rest they are already ruined. You of course can let them enroll but I don’t advise it as they can pollute the minds of your students so if you do, you have to keep an eye on them. I have seen some certified divers who cannot even clear their masks or equalize their ears.

Now we do a little cheating. We arrange it so the student always wins! We do this by boosting their ego, making sure they have success early and often. We set up the training so they start having fun immediately. Because that is what we are selling fun and safe adventure. We use everything to our advantage to make this happen. Warm water, Clear water, low student to instructor ratio, the best equipment available, etc. etc.

A scuba course needs to be easy and the student must be spoiled. For those of you who think this is wrong think about this. Who are you trying to impress with the perfect skill prevention your own ego enhancement or the student? Making an entry-level scuba course tough is great for the military but not here. If you do the skills under adverse condition you only impress the student how good you are. You aren’t teaching them squat only stroking your own ego.

If you have selected the correct clients you will find most of them expect to and need to be led. You must know this, as the majority of your clients must be the joiners. Every once in a while an independent thinker gets in the group. Don’t allow this to be a distraction. Go with the flow but keep an eye on them and if they begin to be a disruption quietly ask them to leave and give them their money back on the spot. I have not had to do this too often but I have literally thrown them out of the pool and written them a check on the spot. I was a hero to the rest of the class. Of course the best way is to structure the situation so they make the decision you want them to make. This is the diplomatic may.
Do not work with Jerks get rid of them as quickly as possible!

This is important so don’t forget it. The sooner your students start having fun is directly proportional to your success as a scuba instructor is.

When people are having fun they are motivated and a physical average person can do wonders on scuba. So rig the course so they have fun right away. On the first day they must have fun. You all know about first impressions well scuba is no different. This can make the difference of success or failure of your student’s scuba course and your career. The student in the clear warm beautiful water who sees fish and feels safe and doesn’t choke will have a very different impression than the wetsuits clad, who waddles into a frigid rock quarry hoping to see some miner’s tools?
Schedule your course for 5-7 days of instruction. This leaves plenty of time for your slow learners. Only use full-fledged instructors as your assistants. Like I said before dive masters are wise fools. I can’t tell you how many times a wanna be divemaster yells at one of my student to put his snorkel in his mouth. Most of them have not been trained properly unless of course I brought them up through my system. They come in the shop all the time wanting a job. Actually what most of them want is a free scuba ride. I have had nothing but trouble with them from drinking to smoking pot to chasing the women students. I had one of them I showed the NOAA Manuel to who retorted Hey they stole this stuff from PADI. Wow what an idiot. Save your self-the trouble and train your own staff to Instructor level before you let them speak to a student. While Dive masters are in training they are not by standards to teach anything to a student and by my standards they keep there damn mouth shut. If they get in the way I get them out as soon as possible.

Should I go on…?

Baby Ducks? People certified elsewhere will pollute the minds of your other students? It sounds like you've got everybody all figured out. You must be a SCUBA Demigod in the eyes of your ever so grateful and loyal students...
You give yourself way too much credit and not near enough to others. Just one question.. why would a full fledged instructor work as your assistant when he or she could make $100,000 a year teaching in paradise?

Originally posted by captdave
Like I said before dive masters are wise fools. I can’t tell you how many times a wanna be divemaster yells at one of my student to put his snorkel in his mouth. Most of them have not been trained properly unless of course I brought them up through my system. They come in the shop all the time wanting a job. Actually what most of them want is a free scuba ride. I have had nothing but trouble with them from drinking to smoking pot to chasing the women students.

Captdave....
I agree completely with the fact that you have to start having fun in a diving course, if it doesnt start fun, people loose motivation very quickly and no longer are interested in completing the course successfully.

However, I did not catch on previously to you mentioning not using Divemasters. I think you have obviously had a few bad Divemasters, but surely you can't rule them all out. After all, the point in having divemasters is to assist the instructor where possible.

And one thing I'd like to point out, not all Divemasters are male...you can get female divemaster who might want to chase after the men students!!!!

Originally posted by captdave
Once imprinted it is irreversible

I also would have to disagree with what you have said above for several reasons.

I am currently learning to drive, my first instructor was terrible...taught me to hold the clutch whenever braking etc, my new instructor is teaching me not to do this...yes its hard for me to get out of the habit, but I'm getting there.

If "quality" instructors refuse to train students who have previously been with another instructor who may have taught them different with minor errors etc, how will that student ever learn whats right?

As I said in a previous post, captdave, you might get more positive responses if you softened your approach. The tone I get from your msgs is: "I am the greatest and the rest of the dive world knows nothing".

And you wonder why people react defensively?

It is your contention that you have a successful scuba business model. While that may be true, your condescending attitude when addressing legitimate queries leads me to question your motives and your sincerity.

In addition, I find some of your remarks about customers, other dive operations, and dive leaders (like divemasters) to be less than professional.

Save your self-the trouble and train your own staff to Instructor level before you let them speak to a student. While Dive masters are in training they are not by standards to teach anything to a student and by my standards they keep there damn mouth shut. If they get in the way I get them out as soon as possible.

Your profile asserts that you are a PADI Master Instructor. I wonder how they would react to the aforementioned remark?

~SubMariner~

Hey Abby,

woudl you tell me what class I will have female DM chasing me? might just be worth a trip across the pond...
:wink:

Big T

:)
OK!
Some Really good remarks and questions.
First of all I learned what I am telling you the hard way. I have made every possible mistake you can imagine in this business. The problem is most scuba instructors are really poor businessmen. They operate on an emotion level and not from the point of view of business.

In regards to Instructors; there is a Mexican proverb that I learned a bit too late. It translates: If you lay down with eagles they will peck your eyes out. This is really the case. I have created more competitors than I can stand. My town is full of dive shop owners that were once my students. Not all but most. I learned to late how to be selective in choosing assistants and then how to keep them loyal. In an earlier post someone mention that that they had to sign a non –compete contract. This is very good. SSI has gone one step further. All SSI Instructors can only work in an authorized SSI Dive Shop. They cannot order any teaching materials on their own. More and More the industry is coming to this although I dought very much that PADI would even consider anything like this. I however insist on a non-compete contract when any of my students wants to start Dive Master training. I also only select those individuals who are not too much of an independent thinking but who want to help out. If I get the slightest feeling or notion of them planning trips outside of our system or training friends outside of our system. They are History…and I do not hesitate to file a lawsuit to stop them. At least for a short time. A non-compete contract is only good for maybe two to three years. You cannot stop someone from making a living forever. That is enough time usually for them to move on to something else. I have had them come back to me years later saying they really missed our adventures and wish they had not of gone on the path they did. They are still out, Forever. I don’t even speak to them nor recognize them in a crowd.

I am sorry if I offend some of you out there but This is the only way I have of telling you what I consider the Hard truth and that is to not mince words too much. I will continue to try and keep it toned down a little.

Never Never Never Never Never allow yourself to be alone with a female student above water. My Course Director who is now deceased gave me this information and I didn’t really think this was a big deal. Well I can tell you it is a big deal. I have been accused of sexual harassment when I didn’t. I once was accused of hitting on a customer’s wife when I didn’t and later learned that she was angry because I didn’t hit on her.

This is a professional business and you must refrain from any kind of contact in this manner. Abby talks about lady divemaster hitting on the men. I think she was kidding but again this is a no no. You loose complete control at that point. Students will always try to drag you down to their level. You must stay above them at all times. This sometimes comes across as arrogant. It is only a defense mechanism.

We have a joke we pass around; never sleep with a student until the last night! This way they go home the next day. They are certified and it does not screw up your class.

I cannot speak to what PADI would say about my comments about my Dive Masters. The standards are quite specific. A dive Master may not deliver new information to any student. This means keep your damn mouth shut in my book. They can however elaborate something an Instructor has already taught. I do not allow this with my Dive Masters. They are there to observe and learn. After they complete this year of training they are put in the Assistant Instructor program for two years and then maybe they will become an Instructor. I currently have two assistants that I work with who are more than happy to travel to exotic places and enjoy our adventures while they are learning. IF you’re a pro, you’re a pro. Admiral Nemitz once said. When in command: COMMAND.

Wetdane....
Well I don't know many divemasters round near me - but I'll look some up for you lol ! Shame I havent qualified yet really ! :jester:

CaptDave,

Perhaps a more useful Mexican proverb is:

"Quien se duerme con perros se levanta con pulgas."

Which liberally translates to:

"He who sleeps with dogs wakes up with fleas."

And, I suppose we ought to do the "eagle" one in Spanish, too. However, I have not actually heard that one:

"Quien se duerme con aguilas se levanta sin ojos."

Joewr...saying, "Vamos a bucear, amigos!" (Let's go diving, friends!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom