Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
:p
This thread is really getting too long and may be loosing its value. I noticed over 1200 have viewed it and that may be it needs to be started again as I have even barely touched the surface of making real money as a scuba instructor…. I have not been getting much more quality input other than those who want to take a jab at me. HA HA it’s been fun. SO here goes I will make another installment and that may be the last, as it seems to be cooling down now….

When putting on your scuba seminar one of the reasons for using properly trained and highly seasoned Instructors and not divemaster is your students are paying top dollar and to give them a divemaster or a divemaster in training will make them feel cheated.

Your student to instructor Ration should be no more than 4 to 1 and with problem or slow students 1 to 1. Most of the time a 2 to 1 ratio is fine but really the one one to one approach is fantastic.

You spend about five minutes doing a few skills on the first dive and then ten minutes of seeing the fish and reef etc. Keep them at the rock sand interface so they won’t hurt anything. Make sure they have FUN. This is your ticket to success. The fun I repeat must start immediately and you have got them hooked…. I go to the 4 to 1 ratio when they have nearly completed the course.

Your clients will (Correctly) perceive your course to be safer and more personalized thus justifying the higher costs….

8-10 students use 3 instructors this allows plenty of 1 to 1 time for the slower students.

Always use all of the training aids offered by your certifying agency. Textbook videos, slates, knowledge reviews, quizzes and exams.

Always use underwater video to help critique your students. (Not absolutely necessary) but I highly recommend it> It really helps to putting on the best scuba course possible.

Give them more dives than the course minimum. They paid for it and this really helps them to get solidly set in their diving abilities and keeps them diving and going on to the advanced and specialties.

Schedule there days to be full from lecture to videos to water. This keeps them focused and fills up their time. OF course the even is time for acknowledging everyone’s successes with dinner and a couple of drinks. Stay off the booze. Stay off the Booze.

It’s not safe. All too often a scuba course is really an excuse for a party to drink and chase babes. If this is your motivation it is fine and fun but don’t expect people to pay you big bucks for this type of situation. They will feel cheated from the start and probably will never return.

Be a professional all the time and it will reward to handsomely.

Ok.....
I have seen this all too often in the business. I hope this isn't the case in your relationship but I suspect as soon as you stop paying commissions the relationship will end....Food for thought! GOOD Luck.

Captdave..just to explain a bit further cause I am really not saying this well enough for you to understand.

I paid commission to my instructor on my previous course of Recsue and Medic when I first met him...however we were having a fling at the time.

But I must add, that after I left Egypt (where I was doing this course) my instructor travelled 4500 miles to come live with me to start a relationship and that was 15 months ago and he is now my fiancee.....so what you have seen all to often before hasn't worked in this situation.

Sorry I didn't explain myself clear enough before!

Cap'n,

I've been sitting back and watching this thread for a few days now.. and I still can't believe that anyone out there is taking your advice seriously.

So, how about it.. are you sincere enough (and legitimate enough) to take someone from the board as an AI or DM on your next trip? I'm sure you'd have a few willing participants to choose from...

To be honest, I'd be impressed (and surprised) if you could provide us with pictures or testimonials from your most recent expedition. although, after what you've said about fleecing them, I can't imagine that you'd invite your students to the board?
Has it not occured to you that some of those Nerdy-Techno-Geeks that you supposedly put through your program might be participants on the largest, most professional Scuba Discussion site in the world????:rolleyes:

Well, I have heard a couple of interesting things here - amongst other things that I am a sitting duck (it happens so that I am a techno geek - and proud of it).
I have let all these things slide since this is to me an interesting discussion, there is always something to learn - even if a concept is a little high flying...

However, regardless of available documentation.
The comments about Abby's relationship was completely uncalled for and to me indicates that CaptDave is not only lying (he does not have the charisma to successfully pull this off), but he has no respect for people and have not bothered to become a member of this community - he has chosen to be an outsider who insists on insulting members of this board.

To those who has an interest in him - good luck.
And to CaptDave - you know what honorable guys do when you insult their friends right? (Oh, nevermind - you wouldn't know what I'm talking about).

Big T

:upset:

It's one thing to have a "lively", but civil, debate on various topics, but outright insults like this are totally uncalled for. Personally, I can handle people who come on who are misinformed, arrogant, strongly opinionated, and even out right liars. Heck, maybe I fit into some of that, but IMO, you have added more insult than info to this board and that isn't welcomed as far as I'm concerned.

Too bad Dave, that was the last straw.

Mike

:rolleyes:

I think some of you people out there can’t read or only want to hear what you want. I have in no way insulted Abby, If anything I was trying to warn her of a possible problem. Like I said because of the imprinting factor Some Instructors take advantage of the situation with students. Damn it guys wake up and smell the roses.
Teaching scuba is a sexy thing. Your in the water your operating in swimming suits, your bolstering ego’s making people feel good about them self. Some people get this confused and fall for the scuba instructor. It happens all the time. I was just trying to warn Abby. Since her last post it seems this may be a legitimate relationship but prior to that who knows.
A scuba instructor has to take these facts into consideration. When I first started Teaching I was shocked at this phenomena and had to really hold back. Now it just comes with the territory.

Duca and Wetdane

I am touched that you jump to my rescue but there is no need. I must admitt here that CaptDave is right in saying what he has. He is obviously a man of experience and knows this does go on and was only protecting my back....as I had not explained properly my currently situation.

But Captdave, altho this mistake was made my Duca and Wetdane I don't think we need to start saying people cant read!!!! I know it was probably said in jest but none the less this doesnt seem to be heated and I am worried everyone is taking everything word for word.

We all have to remember, this is an educational thread. I for one have learnt a lot from the posts of CaptDave and I am sure many of you have, even if it was just the opposite for what you believe it.

Remember that for you to believe in something, you have to know the opposite first....and to some thats what CaptDave has provided....and for others it provided free information that could prove to be the turning point in your life in the dive industry.

ScubaBaby,

We all have to believe in something...

I believe I'll have another glass of good California Cabernet to go with my late lunch...

Joewr...beyond belief and into denial...

And I believe that belushi and I shouldnt have polished off two bottles of very nice white wine this evening cause Belushi snores badly at the best of times!!!! :wink:

:)
Thanks Abby.
Some of you out there seem to think that a high-end expensive scuba course is a rip off. Then why do so many people come again and again?

Never NEVER never believe that by being well paid to make other people happy is wrong. To many of us have this problem with making money? It is OK to make money and it is OK to make a lot of money teaching scuba. Never let anybody tell you it cannot be done. It can be done, you can do it. I have done it and I will continue to tell you how to make it work for you.

The next question you need to answer is how you can become the scuba instructor that people will pay a lot of money to be with?

You have to be well seasoned, experienced and know what your doing. You have to be believable. If you want to build a world class dive program that will attract quality people who will pay you the big bucks.

You must be able to teach all of the recreational scuba courses. That’s all the Specialties.
Learn underwater photography and videography.
Become an expert on scuba equipment including repair.
Use every training tool you can
Become a master of Logistics.
Learn the top 12 dive locations and become familiar with them all and expert guide.

Avoid teaching any of the leadership courses this means from rescue on up until they have taken as many of the specialties and done a great deal of traveling with you and are finally begging you for the rescue class.
Try not to make Instructors, as they will become your competitors sooner or later. Always use a non-compete contract if you decide to.

It is the regular person who wants to become a recreational diver that is your meat and potatoes. This is where the money is so stay in this are and teach them all of the recreational courses available.

By Using Video and Underwater communications you can speak directly underwater to your students and you can show them their mistakes when you’re back on board the boat. This will help your job become a lot easier and get your students to become better divers quicker. Plus the razzel dazzle of the hi tech also makes your expensive course seem justified. You can rent an u/W Video camera if you do not have one. I think even the low end courses will produce better divers if they went to the video aspect in their training.

People just love to watch themselves in home movies and on television. They just love this and have fun laughing at themselves and showing off to the new dive friends…Never ever put a student down always find a positive way to critique them.

Logistics is the most important aspect of your program, Things must go right and if they go wrong it can hurt your entire program. If something goes wrong do not make a big deal and curse and or stomp your feet. I have seen scuba instructors throw weight belts and slam hatches etc. etc. This is stupid. If you have a problem you must be able to communicate to your assistants with special pre-arranged signals that only you and they understand. Make sure the clients never know something went wrong.
Remember if you get upset they get upset.

Discuss the primary dive sites, alternate dive side, weather consideration and time to the sites. Do this in private so that if a site is no good or wind screws things up you can adjust to the other sites without anybody noticing.

MAKE PROBLEMS BECOME INVISIBLE

Discuss in private with your staff problem students and possible solutions. Before the student re-enters the water.
Have spare equipment readily available at all times should an equipment failure happen it is corrected quickly.

Institute a plan for aborted dives for those divers who pop UP by having standby personnel readily available. This prevents other students from being left UN-supervised.

Make sure the transportation to and from the airport. To and from the boat. Etc. is handled. People will blame you if it isn’t

Arrange for baggage transfers and early check INS when necessary. Make sure they get their stuff. I spend several hours once on the tarmac Guarding my client’s luggage and gear that had been thrown off the airplane. While waiting for grounded airplanes due to bad weather. Never expect that things will go correctly. Make sure they do!

You check on the accommodations in advance. DO not rely on a provider or a travel agent. They are notoriously terrible with this. I learned this the hard way. I had a great resort at Cayman booked When I arrived I learned that there were Hugh Fuel Storage Tanks on both sides of this resort. They had built a fuel dump around the resort. Wow What a Mess. We used the side of one of the tanks to show slides and videos and never had a problem. I also went out and purchased a barbecue grill and cooked several meals for everybody. I told them that this resort which was beautiful allowed us to do lots of extra fun stuff. Nobody seemed to mind but I never booked the place again and I think some people felt a little cheated.

Be able to switch your schedule at a moments notice when ever boat problems and weather prevents you from diving. Have another lecture ready to go etc…I remember once I fixed a shaft of the boat with some Monelwire I always carry in my save a dive trip box..

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom