Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen this all too often in the business. I hope this isn't the case in your relationship but I suspect as soon as you stop paying commissions the relationship will end....Food for thought!

Capt Dave,
There was no insult intended (I hope), and no insult was taken. Being of the broad shouldered variety I understand your thoughts on the matter completely.
Generally most guys who become instructors do it for the "God Complex"

A good diving instructor is empathetic, understanding, never chiding, never loses their temper, patient and freindly. Lots of the attributes women want in a man. But in reality, this is only a job. The "benefits" of the job in respect to the members of the opposite sex are manyfold (if you are into that sort of thing)

I am a 34 year old Master Instructor with nearly ten years teaching experience in three continents and I have also seen it all. I am a cynical old instructor who does not want to be bothered with the absurdities of teaching diving and all the doggies-do-do that go with it.

Your comment above, was fairly personal and not very pleasant. If I did not have the experience I do, I could have taken great offence to this and want death before dishonour.

Your threads are informative (for those who listen and dont rant) and educational. It is just the fact that you and I are similar in our bluntness. I get greif all the time about my bluntness. To which I reply if they don't like it then they can whistle.

this does not work here. I used to take my responsibilities as a professional educator seriously and I enjoyed educating people.
but people who do not have the werewithal to understand a message that is short and brief will get upset.

You have the pleasure of being able to market your saleable product in a manner that you want. I did not. When you have to cheapen your courses by doing them in three days to make money by turnover, you cheapen yourself.

Your competition is your own fault, and by being a professional educator, you have created a rod for your own back. Been there as well. one of my Instructor students got me the sack and then went on to take my General Manager's job. She is now a PADI Course Director.

All I am saying is ignore your detractors, and should only one person take on board your knowledge, then you have succeeded as the professional educator you are. But be a bit less forthcoming about other people and their opinions

:) After reading over 1200 replies to this thread what have I learnt:
a. People love to read about how to make money.
b. Every one has their own morals & ethics.
c. Capt Dave should produce a book - I'm not sure if it would be included as background reading to the topic "How to successfully run a dive business!" or an accompaniment to various dive instructor manuals.

Regards,

vmf :sunny:

Capt. Dave,

You have said a lot throughout your post and it makes me wonder, what exactly are you looking for here? Are you looking for someone with no experience that has nothing better to do for the next 3 years that you can train your way? :confused:

There's been lots of input but you've never said what you are looking for...

Ldreamin

Wow. Talk about opening up a can of worms, and then to keep putting your foot in your mouth.

Some --- yes some of your ideas of making money probably will work. If you have the guts to use them. And you have to have the naive consumer available to believe them.

I have found this thread, well interesting to read. It's got me hot under the collar for all the insults that have been thrown by Capt Dave to us. Then I've calmed down, and read his explanations when he's realized that he's overstepped the line. Although I may not agree with his opinions -- that's what they are, his opinions.

What I find upsetting is the fact that it's a constant cycle. He keeps putting his foot in his mouth, and insulting someone else, and then trying to explain.

Sorry CaptDave, read the responses, and the profiles of the people you're "zinging". We're not all novices and we're not all dumb.

Input from everyone is welcome. How else are we going to learn to improve on what we see as irresponsible behaviour.

:(
Hello Diving Gal
Thank you for your post. I did what you suggested and checked your profile. I see you are a Dive master… Hum! Like I said, dive masters are wise fools and they should keep their mouths shut. You need to hook up with a good instructor and stay there for a couple of years. I also notice you have 8 specialties this will stand you in good stead toward your goals in the dive industry. I also notice you are from Canada. This is wonderful. You know that Canada has more divers than down her in the United States. It is because the children are started into snorkeling at a young age and are ready for scuba by 12. Hang in their diving gal I am sure you will make a good instructor someday. I do not think you would fit into my program .

Originally posted by captdave
:(
Hello Diving Gal
Thank you for your post. I did what you suggested and checked your profile. I see you are a Dive master… Hum! Like I said, dive masters are wise fools and they should keep their mouths shut. You need to hook up with a good instructor and stay there for a couple of years. I also notice you have 8 specialties this will stand you in good stead toward your goals in the dive industry. I also notice you are from Canada. This is wonderful. You know that Canada has more divers than down her in the United States. It is because the children are started into snorkeling at a young age and are ready for scuba by 12. Hang in their diving gal I am sure you will make a good instructor someday. I do not think you would fit into my program .

CaptDave must you always insult people. I think the reason you have this thread is simply to give you avenue to vent your inner problems on us because you can't elsewhere.

I wonder were telling DivingGal she is a "Wise Fool and should keep their mouths shut" is of need in this post. Then to make it worse you tell her she needs to be under a good instuctor for a few more years. Man if you are a good instructor, diving as a sport is doomed.

But I do agree that she would not fit into your program, as there is not enough room in your delusions for anyone but you.

I would hazzard a guess that divers that train under you wish they would learn more about how to off someone and make it look like an accident because the attitude you present has to show to everyone. And I can pretty much assure you that you do not make the kind of money you claim to make because nobody would come back for seconds with someone like you or recommend others.

Give me a Wise Fool and a REAL instructor anytime, but if you are it, I give up on my path to training!

DivingGal, you could be my DM anytime (course being just OW certified it make take like 20 years till I make instructor hehehehe)

I find this thread educational. He has put forth some interesting ideas. These ideas would work for a (IMHO) very small percentage of instructors, and a very small percentage of students. It takes a tremendous amount of work, research, moxy, a very healthy ego, and I'm sure plenty of up front capital.

Dallas is( or at least used to be) loaded with young single professionals who if their singles group said "hey we are gonna provide you with an opportunity to get dive trained in St. Croix on a week long trip for $XXXX. It would go over well. That is probably the first route I would go. The logistics are still very difficult. It would be easier to do if you had your own shop.

I don't agree with the attitude towards DM's. To keep people from becomming competition... pay them well, give them benefits, don't give them a reason to leave.

Yes students like to stick with one instructor. Its a comfort factor. Its someone they know, and trust. Who better to keep CE going than having to learn from someone else and find out if thats someone you can get to know and trust. I was trained in college, and like most college students I moved after graduation. I would love to find a shop I can deal with and an instructor I can relate to.
Interesting ideas, and in a truly ideal situation I don't doubt it would work. I also don't think truly ideal situations exist. As you have said Capt. you still have to be able to compete with everyone else.

Tom

Cappy,

I've noticed since my last post that you have managed to bluntly insult at least one more person... and a whole class of divers... but you have yet to respond to many of my questions.
Found any testimonials from satisfied students?
Got any info on your next class that someone can participate in?
Care to take on someone from SB as an observer/student/whatever?
If you have everything figured out, and "made it rich in SCUBA," why are you still offering the same courses/programs as everyone else on your website?

I have read with grat interest this thread and your ideas. I have also commented on this thread an put forth my own opinions.

I am saddend with the tone of your messages to the other posters when they disagree with you and your ideas. This said, I am also saddend by the response to your idea.

Perhaps I will understand the negativity when ( and if ) I become an instructor. From a business sense most of your ideas sound resonable. I am assuming you have a far more indepth business plan than what has been expressed on this thread.

Butch :peace:

:D
OK enough fun now its time to move ahead. I really love to kibitz with you guys. I hope you don’t take it too seriously. Once you get to know me better I think you will find I am full of a lot of xxxx and love to have a lively exchange. It does get me into trouble sometimes but I am the stage in my life where I really don’t care anymore. When talking to my friends I love to rank them when talking with students and clients its mister diplomatic. On this level that we are talking about I am no longer stroking egos I am making professionals. Most of the up comers have got it all wrong and need a kick in the pants to think about what is. Lets move ahead with the thread and see what else I have to say that you can critique me about.

Don’t just sell your scuba seminar sell yourself and your staff. By preparing yourself and your staff to the highest level you have something more to offer your students than the run of the mill Instructor and divemaster routine. Again I state: Your staff should all be well seasonsed instructors and master instructors. Do not use Dive Masters. If you have a Divemaster in training his or her only function is to observe and to provide backup in the event of a pop up student. They need to be friendly cordial and humble. If they are even apologetic this goes well with your clients.

My dive Master/ Assistant Instructor Course costs $1000.00 I think the most expensive in the nation. How can I get this much for this course?
The run of the mill dive master has to take 5 tests on physics, equipment, bla bla bla. He has to assist with two open water classes and wha la he is a dive master…Well no he is not a dive master. I don’t even allow my dive masters to take their exams for at least a year. What constitutes a good dive master is experience with students in training. Operation of the compressor systems, Operation of the small boats, ability to fix a regulator in the field in minutes. Understanding of the equipment that the shop sells. Make sure that all your assistants and dive master wears exactly the same equipment that you do and then sell this exact system to your students. Why not, it is the best in the industry and this will make your money on the far side. I do not want any of my staff to wear anything that we do not sell in the shop and if they advise differently they are out forever.

Anyway what makes a seasoned Instructor. In an earlier thread I think called what makes a good instructor or diving uncertified there was a lively debate about teaching scuba and some felt an experience diver could do a great job. Well this is just stupid. One of the sections in the Instructor training program is to deal with student problems. The course director creates scenario where the instructor candidates have common problems and deal with these problems. The key is experience in what is going on out there underwater and how to deal with a problem right now. A well-seasoned Instructor not only has practiced these in the pool and classroom and open water but he has lived it for a couple of years as an assistant instructor. Now this is a guy you want on your staff. I know Instructors who can’t even fill a scuba tank.

Now lets get one thing straight about why I am so tough on my staff. It is past the spoiling stage. I no longer need to stroke their egos. We are professionals with people’s lives in our hands. If I tell an Instructor to do something he had better know how to do it and to do it now. If he doesn’t its my fault> This is especially when things get real dicey like in a hurricane, which I have lived through two, and brought back all of my divers UN harmed. Since I am a real Captain I can tell you a life on the sea is not all fun and games.
I remember one time we were in a Hugh storm I was at the helm and we had a student go down. I was using the boat staff as my staff. I needed for them to get Oxygen to this student. I had brought my Oxygen kit from Dan. Do you know not one of those people knew how to assemble the oxygen kit? I had to instruct them on the spot while my student waited for Oxygen.
In another InstanceI was with a major dive operation in Roatan and had even checked out that they had the correct emergency equipment on board. When I had a student who surfaced to quickly and needed oxygen we learned their oxygen bottle was near empty. Fortunately we were close enough to shore and were able to get oxygen quickly…
Don’t trust anybody or any operation. You make damn sure that you have all of the equipment in place and that it works properly and the staff knows how to operate it.

I should point out that I have never had an injured student or a student who got DCS etc. I use oxygen for seasickness as well as other minor problems. It really makes a difference. More on this later.

My last dive master I trained wandered off as they usually do. He ended up in Thailand. He went to work for a dive operation and when they learned what he knew They made him the shop general manager and then put him through a quick instructor course…He later got drunk and wrecked a car and is now selling soft wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom