Make Good Money as a Scuba Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captdave...

I do not want any of my staff to wear anything that we do not sell in the shop and if they advise differently they are out forever.

So, if I wanted to train with you on my DM course, I had everything you wanted me to have, but I needed a BC that you didnt stock due to a kidney condition which means I can't have to much weight on my back, would you employ me even tho i couldnt wear matching gear - and possibly gear from somewhere other than your shop?

Ask just out of interest!

"In another Instance I was with a major dive operation in Roatan and had even checked out that they had the correct emergency equipment on board. When I had a student who surfaced to quickly and needed oxygen we learned their oxygen bottle was near empty. Fortunately we were close enough to shore and were able to get oxygen quickly…" - Captdave

I guess your not as thorough as you'd like us to believe. If you were, you'd have followed your own advice and made sure the O2 tank had been filled.

"Don’t just sell your scuba seminar sell yourself" -Captdave

Judging from how you "sell yourself" here on the board, I find it hard to believe that you could "sell yourself" to your students and customers like you say you can. I'm always suspicious of someone's stated skills and abilities when they have to tear others down to elevate themselves. You've made some good points here, but I would be willing to bet that you think you're better than other people think you are, including your students and costumers.

Originally posted by Zagnut
"In another Instance I was with a major dive operation in Roatan and had even checked out that they had the correct emergency equipment on board. When I had a student who surfaced to quickly and needed oxygen we learned their oxygen bottle was near empty. Fortunately we were close enough to shore and were able to get oxygen quickly…" - Captdave

I guess your not as thorough as you'd like us to believe. If you were, you'd have followed your own advice and made sure the O2 tank had been filled.

"Don’t just sell your scuba seminar sell yourself" -Captdave

Judging from how you "sell yourself" here on the board, I find it hard to believe that you could "sell yourself" to your students and customers like you say you can. I'm always suspicious of someone's stated skills and abilities when they have to tear others down to elevate themselves. You've made some good points here, but I would be willing to bet that you think you're better than other people think you are, including your students and costumers.

All I have to say is Jekyl and Hyde.... One face to most people and one face to himself. I think you are likely right on the nail with this one Zagnut

:wink:
Hi Abby. This is a really good question. Again I insist you wear our equipment if you want to work with us. However, There a lady versions of the BCD that may work for you. Further, I would want you to see my doctor who is a great friend and diver about this Kidney condition to make sure it is safe for you to continue diving and especially in a professional manner. Now for clarification You must wear the BCD, Regulators and Computer. Mask fins and snorkels can be different but must come from our chosen dive shop.

To the other guys that point out my mistakes this also is good. If you remember in an earlier post I told you I have made every mistake in the book before coming to this point in my life. I offer these as examples of my mistakes so that you will not make the same mistakes as I have. I really could rank you guys but you did a good job on yourselves with this one any way HA HA :mean:

I believe captdave is showing a side of the dive industry that many don't like. And the truth is most won't even talk about. Its kinda like when you found out that your parents had sex. The reality is diving is a sport to those who don't own a dive shop. And it's a bussiness for those who make their living in the dive industry. I dont feel that there is anything wrong with looking at the dive industry through captdave's perspective. It helps the recreational diver to see this side though many may not agree with it. Though a doctor sees you and gives compasion to those who are sick, try to visit him with no money or insurance. You will see a side that your not used to seeing. Money does make the world go round and wheather you like it or not, captdave's view on this issue are more prevelent then most think. I for one don't think there is anything wrong with making a good buck as long as your student's safety isn't jeopardized!!!!! If unnecessary risks are taken and safety is diminished in anyway, I think it's time to stop and rethink your priorities.

NJDiver_34

I have spent the past two nights reading your postings and reading the questions / arguments / queries posted by my fellow board members.

First off, congratulations on proposing an original and intuitative concept on the ways and hows of earning more money through Scuba instruction. You really have 'thought ouside the box' and, as with most industries, this is the key to uncovering and dominating a new market. I read your early posts with interest because, while not original in themselves (I train a similar concept to over 100 financial advisers a year), it is unique in my experience to have related this to Scuba instruction.

I followed your earlier posts with interest because you seemed to have a new message to pass on to us.

Where it started to go sour was with your attitude.

You are obviously only in this for the money. If your students or staff fail to meet your expectations, you simply get rid of the problem. You refund money to troublesome students and sack staff who do not toe 'the party line'. I understand that you qualify students under the PADI system - but really you want to sell the 'Captain Dave qualification'

You do not want free thinking staff who you are proud to say you certified, but would prefer to certify Captain Dave automans who only preach the gospel according to Saint Dave.

This is wrong to many of us on the board. I am currently a DM candidate under a superb Master Instructor (who, contrary to your previous posts, was NOT my original OW instructor). I have great respect for his diligence and patience and for the fact that he will sacrifice his earnings from an OW class to developing me to the next level.

You may not have realised (or more probably do not recognise or even care) that many of this board's members dive for the sheer enjoyment of experiencing the wonders of the underwater kingdom. We revel in our experiences and rejoice in sharing them with others. I have many friends here who I would not only gladly dive with, but am willing to confer my meagre knowledge with FOR NO MATERIAL GAIN.

Scuba is NOT my be all and end all as far as generating an income (I do sufficiently well, by your standards in my day job to satisfy this)

I took great exception (and I am sure you will find most of the board members did too) to your comments regarding Scubababy's relationship with her instructor and partner Belushi.

First off, hats off to both of them by replying to you in a detached and constructive manner (this confirms why Scubababy has had Regulator status conferred upon her). Had it been me or my partner you slandered, I don't think I would (or could) have been so gracious.

I am sorry that you could not impart your message to us without displaying the arrogance and disregard for the general values held by the other members of the board because I genuinely felt you had something of value to add to the board. Instead, you have confirmed the general opinion that you are a money grabbing, self serving, arrogant know-it-all who, in my opinion, has no place in the general Scuba community.

I agree with your post. I will also say that I understand that Scuba, to some people, is a business. That is fine. I started out in this thread encouraging Captdave to continue and even threw out some ideas for his approach. After all, if nobody treated scuba as work, where would we sport divers find instruction and/or equipment. That is why I personally have no desire to work as an instrustor or be anything more than a rec diver. I feel like it might take some of the pleasure out of diving for me, but I'm glad there are those out there who do work in this industry.

I will say however, that in the industry I work in, or any other for that matter, someone can maintain the bottom line without treating others with disrespect or making enemies out of the competition. I don't know about other professions, but in mine there have even been times when a competitor has helped me out. In my line of work we bid directly against each other, but I can still build a constructive relationship with many of my competitors. Doing this has benefitted me at times. I would imagine those principles would apply to the business of scuba as well. I just don't see the need for arrogance and a disrespect for others in the industry.

Hey if you guys can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. I find it rather interesting the same few who want to rank me continue to do it without much real input to the subject. I really wish you guys were on my boat as I would throw you off at the next harbor. HA HA.

OK Guys lets move ahead.
Being prepared encompasses a lot of preparation. You need to carry spare equipment, regulators, gauges, and alternate air sources. Flashlights, hoses, straps, dive computers and computer batteries, and mouth pieces. It is easier to swap a regulator on the spot rather than take the time to fix it just then. I always carry the necessary repair kits for repairs later when time permits. Now this becomes really easy if everybody is wearing the same equipment. You can’t carry an entire dive shop with you but if everybody is using the same REG. same BCD’s, and same computers a few repair kits and your home free and everybody keeps diving. There is no excuse for someone to miss a dive due to malfunction equipment so keep it simple and have ample backups and supplies.

I had a diver forget his mask once and after a 20-mile trip to a special island I know in the Sea of Cortez, He could not dive because he had forgotten his mask. When I pulled out a spare it saved his dive and he has been diving with me ever since…

Let’s talk more about this Underwater Video and Camera Business.
YOU MUST DO IT> It sets you apart from the regular instructor. It allows you the opportunity to create exciting moving pictures of your dive seminar for your “Commercial” and the people just love this. Editing is extremely important as nobody likes to watch a video unedited. Editing machines are real cheep now days and most live-aboards have one on board and you can shoot in the day edit in the afternoon and present in the evening. You can create a trip video which you sell to your clients at the end of the trip say $60.00 apiece Times 10 that’s a potential of another $600.00. DO IT. Not all will buy but many will.

Give them a Nikonis V to take some pictures with as soon as they get their buoyancy control down. DO NOT USE these cheap versions of an underwater point and shoot. They really don’t take very good pictures and a course in U/W Camera usage is designed for the use of a real camera. I have students come to me with a point and shoot and want to use it in my underwater camera course and I say no. I will let them use one of my cameras. A REAL CAMERA. Most good operators have the ability to process your film the same day and you can show slides that evening. DO not make prints. ALWAYS MAKE SLIDES this way everybody can enjoy the fun and prints can be made later. I am now using a Nikonis III with a light meter and it is truly fun. When I go on a fun dive trip for just me and my staff I could spend the whole time taking pictures. I am also hooked on this part of our sport. Your clients get hooked also after one roll of film with a good cameras and you then sell them the U/W Camera course and of course a camera.

This same philosophy holds true with all of the Specialties. Teach them how to use a speargun and you sell spear guns. Teach them how do to a wreck dive and you sell extra lights. Reels and safety equipment. Teach them the Night dive specialty course to sell dive lights and back ups. Etc. etc. etc.

Another point here. When you go diving for yourself never dive with anybody less qualified than you otherwise you end up with the liability and the responsibility. I have gone on fun dive trip with my staff and we sign up as advanced divers. This is so we can have fun and not be bothered by everybody else’s problems. We go to dive and be left alone. You should take your staff out on frequent adventures just you and the guys and gals for fun- it helps clear the cobwebs.

Originally posted by captdave
Hey if you guys can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. I find it rather interesting the same few who want to rank me continue to do it without much real input to the subject. I really wish you guys were on my boat as I would throw you off at the next harbor. HA HA.

Not sure I understand this as your English is kind of sketchy - what nationality are you (or did you decide to abandon your education at an early age in pursuit of your chosen 'Donald Trump' dive career?) Personally, if I found myself aboard HMS Captain Dave, I think I would probably have jumped by now. You find it interesting that the 'few who rank you continue to do it without much real input' - ie if you have not replied, you must be WITH me - BIT of an assumption perhaps (maybe the VAST majority of the Scubaboard family do not regard your thread worth the effort of replying to)

Another point here. When you go diving for yourself never dive with anybody less qualified than you otherwise you end up with the liability and the responsibility.

This COULD prove to be a problem if instructing n'est-ce pas?

I have gone on fun dive trip with my staff and we sign up as advanced divers. This is so we can have fun and not be bothered by everybody else’s problems.

Hmmm - if this was MY instructor's attitude to buddies the I'd have to quote Arnie - 'Asta La Vista Baby'

Keep 'em coming CD, I have just realised you are trying to become the Buster Keaton of the Deep Blue

As I have previously stated, I am sorry you feel unable to impart your message on an impartial level.

:)
OK Guys lets move ahead.
Being prepared encompasses a lot of preparation. You need to carry spare equipment, regulators, gauges, and alternate air sources. Flashlights, hoses, straps, dive computers and computer batteries, and mouth pieces. It is easier to swap a regulator on the spot rather than take the time to fix it just then. I always carry the necessary repair kits for repairs later when time permits. Now this becomes really easy if everybody is wearing the same equipment. You can’t carry an entire dive shop with you but if everybody is using the same REG. same BCD’s, and same computers a few repair kits and your home free and everybody keeps diving. There is no excuse for someone to miss a dive due to malfunction equipment so keep it simple and have ample backups and supplies.

I had a diver forget his mask once and after a 20-mile trip to a special island I know in the Sea of Cortez, He could not dive because he had forgotten his mask. When I pulled out a spare it saved his dive and he has been diving with me ever since…

Let’s talk more about this Underwater Video and Camera Business.
YOU MUST DO IT> It sets you apart from the regular instructor. It allows you the opportunity to create exciting moving pictures of your dive seminar for your “Commercial” and the people just love this. Editing is extremely important as nobody likes to watch a video unedited. Editing machines are real cheep now days and most live-aboards have one on board and you can shoot in the day edit in the afternoon and present in the evening. You can create a trip video which you sell to your clients at the end of the trip say $60.00 apiece Times 10 that’s a potential of another $600.00. DO IT. Not all will buy but many will.

Give them a Nikonis V to take some pictures with as soon as they get their buoyancy control down. DO NOT USE these cheap versions of an underwater point and shoot. They really don’t take very good pictures and a course in U/W Camera usage is designed for the use of a real camera. I have students come to me with a point and shoot and want to use it in my underwater camera course and I say no. I will let them use one of my cameras. A REAL CAMERA. Most good operators have the ability to process your film the same day and you can show slides that evening. DO not make prints. ALWAYS MAKE SLIDES this way everybody can enjoy the fun and prints can be made later. I am now using a Nikonis III with a light meter and it is truly fun. When I go on a fun dive trip for just me and my staff I could spend the whole time taking pictures. I am also hooked on this part of our sport. Your clients get hooked also after one roll of film with a good cameras and you then sell them the U/W Camera course and of course a camera.

This same philosophy holds true with all of the Specialties. Teach them how to use a speargun and you sell spear guns. Teach them how do to a wreck dive and you sell extra lights. Reels and safety equipment. Teach them the Night dive specialty course to sell dive lights and back ups. Etc. etc. etc.

Another point here. When you go diving for yourself never dive with anybody less qualified than you otherwise you end up with the liability and the responsibility. I have gone on fun dive trip with my staff and we sign up as advanced divers. This is so we can have fun and not be bothered by everybody else’s problems. We go to dive and be left alone. You should take your staff out on frequent adventures just you and the guys and gals for fun- it helps clear the cobwebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom