Making an upgrade and looking for feedback and suggestions on camera and housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's very easy to adjust the aperture and shutter speed. Aperture is done by the front wheel and shutter speed by the back wheel...push up and then left or right. Actually it would be nice if you could change the front wheel to shutter speed as that is what I change the most.

This weekend I assembled my ike tray and arms with the Oly PT-EP03 housing. For those that may be curious or in need of the information (I could not find it anywhere on the web), there are 3 1/4" thread holes on the bottom of the Oly housing. With the correct screws it is no problem to attach a standard ike double handle tray. Here are the parts you need: Hex Head 1/4 x 1" screw, 1/4" fender washer, 1/4" lock washer. Total cost 39 cents. You can use 2 or 3 of these.

The ike tray has a long slot so you can put the tray any position L-R that you like. I set the tray slightly offcenter so that I can fire the shutter without moving my hand off the right handle.

This weekend I assembled my ike tray and arms with the Oly PT-EP03 housing. For those that may be curious or in need of the information (I could not find it anywhere on the web), there are 3 1/4" thread holes on the bottom of the Oly housing. With the correct screws it is no problem to attach a standard ike double handle tray. Here are the parts you need: Hex Head 1/4 x 1" screw, 1/4" fender washer, 1/4" lock washer. Total cost 39 cents. You can use 2 or 3 of these.

The ike tray has a long slot so you can put the tray any position L-R that you like. I set the tray slightly offcenter so that I can fire the shutter without moving my hand off the right handle.

I had an xz-1 and moved to an E-PL2. There is no comparison in the image quality. The E-PL2 is substantially better--by a huge margin. The xz-1 is a tiny sensor camera. It is the best in its class but just cannot with the 4/3 sensor size. I have the 9-18 and Zen dome, the 14-42 with close-up adapter, and the 45mm macro. It is the best all-aroiund combination I can imagine, and very compact as well.

I also have an Ikelite two-handle tray. I suggest going to Home Depot and looking for SS 1/4" screws with wing nuts on the end for fastening the camera to the tray. Once you choose the right length, they work great and allow instant assembly/disassembly with no tools. I use 2 of the screws to prevent rotation. I have the ULCS ball adapters for the Ike handles, and clamps/arms for both strobes and video lights. it is a very versatile set-up and I routinely come back with fine videos and photos from a single dive.

Back
Top Bottom