Malapascua diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is what you see on a 'low-numbers' dive with a good guide. Taken with a Canon 20D DSLR, 800iso, no flash at 6.15am. Lens - 18-50mm Sigma, F5, 1/100, (26mm):D

Thanks to Gary and Danny, Divelink Malapascua. Respect to Danny who has two mismatched fins, leaky 2nd stage and an artificial reef in his mask and is one of the best guides in the PI's plus one of the best characters and human beings we know here.

Attachments

• Thresher Monad Shoal Philippines.jpg
    Thresher Monad Shoal Philippines.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 87
I think the take-home message is basically "don't go during high season" and "dive with a good op". I went to Malapascua in March 2008, and dove Monad Shoal in the mornings with Thresher Shark Divers. It was only me, my buddy and the dive guide, tranquil, pristine dive conditions - unfortunately no sharks :p but huge mantas, so we were very happy.
We also went later in the day, but then it was utterly, disgustingly crowded (the other dive ops took 10+ divers per guide) - it was like being at the cinema. No fun at all (and naturally, very shark-less).
Divers, use your influence as paying customers when you go these places! Tell your dive op that it's unacceptable to be crowding the dive sites (and don't let them just blame all the other dive ops), as the future of these diving sites depends on their being left relatively undisturbed, and also on divers not acting in such ways as to alter the behaviour of the amazing, beautiful, breathtaking wildlife that is unique to these waters.

Peace,
Sara

I think the take-home message is basically "don't go during high season" and "dive with a good op". I went to Malapascua in March 2008, and dove Monad Shoal in the mornings with Thresher Shark Divers. It was only me, my buddy and the dive guide, tranquil, pristine dive conditions - unfortunately no sharks :p but huge mantas, so we were very happy.
We also went later in the day, but then it was utterly, disgustingly crowded (the other dive ops took 10+ divers per guide) - it was like being at the cinema. No fun at all (and naturally, very shark-less).
Divers, use your influence as paying customers when you go these places! Tell your dive op that it's unacceptable to be crowding the dive sites (and don't let them just blame all the other dive ops), as the future of these diving sites depends on their being left relatively undisturbed, and also on divers not acting in such ways as to alter the behaviour of the amazing, beautiful, breathtaking wildlife that is unique to these waters.

Peace,
Sara

I had a few dives like this as well, but only because there was a lull in customers at the time (I was there right at the beginning of the season). Thresher Shark Divers was busy when I got there and busy when I left (a group of 15 Chinese divers showed up the day before I left, as I mentioned one of the reasons I opted not to dive my last day).

I've been fortunate with weather for the most part given I've only made one trip that was really during the peak of "the season". I'll likely continue to take my chances :wink:

@ WWD.......I am not fond diving in 20+ other divers and everybody tries to get in place. Which operator do you recommend going out in small groups and making sure everybody behaves responsible?

Well we have been there and returned - arrived at the end of May and stayed for three nights at Bantique Cove Resort. Must have been low season because the two of us who were diving had our own guides each! We were lucky enough to see threshers on our first attempt but not on the second. On each dive there would have been 12-15 divers present from other operators. Gato Island is a good day trip - plenty to see and some great swimthroughs. All in all a worthwhile experience - just glad we struck it lucky first time around - it is not the sort of place you would go to twice.

@ WWD.... very good advice. My own experience diving at Malapascua agrees with that. 2 days is not going to be enough.

@ iris.... thanks for posting a link to my report :)

I concur with WWD and Bill, it would be like doing the Chevy Chase head jerk while looking at the Grand Canyon and leaving after three minutes (reference "National Lampoon's Vacation" movie). The threshers have been very good in my experience for about the last year at Monad. I have dived Monad in small groups and large and the sharks have been there for both groups. Not that I care to dive in the large groups. I do recommend you dive on Nitrox as it will maximize your bottom time and limit the size of your immediate dive guide group. Last fall I had a thresher swimming round and round in front of just me and my guide. I even had enough time to pose as the TSD guide took video of the shark swimming behind me. :shocked2: I posted a couple of the better videos on my flickr site. I have dived Malapascua over the last 6 years and I've had great dive experiences and o.k. dive experiences there as far as critters and weather. Of course the more you've seen underwater the harder it is to be impressed but sometimes it can just be single magical encounter with some wonderful underwater animal that makes my whole trip worthwhile.:D

Back
Top Bottom