Malaria??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DavidHickey

Contributor
Reaction score
Kingsman, Ohio. Near Wilmington and Waynesville
# of dives
50 - 99
Good Afternoon,
Have a question not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but I figure its a basic question. I'm going to Coco view restort in Roatan in 14 days and 22 hours or something like that. And I was reading some info and some of the posters were talking about taking Malaria pills. Is this really a concern? I would have never even thought about, I've been to alot of Caribbean destinations but first time in Honduras. Any advice on this?
Thanks
David

I'm no expert in travel medicine, but I do know that malaria risk will depend on exactly where you will be.
The CDC website has a ton of info. The section with regional malaria info for Central America is here:http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/camerica.htm
The similar page for the Caribbean indicates very few islands where antimalarials would be required. They do recommend prevention in Honduras "for all areas (including resort areas) on Roatan". Not sure how many people actually take it though.
If in doubt, consult a travel clinic.

We were in Utila last winter as well as in the interior and had no qualms about NOT taking any anti-malaria drugs. However, had we traveled east to the Mosquito Coast we would have. I would be more worried about the sand flies those suckers really bite.

Dave Zimmerly:
Yes, it is a very real possibility.

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/destinations/mamerica_carib/honduras.html

For what it's worth the GF and I will be going back to FI for our third time and we will have our Hep A & B, tetanus, typhoid shots up-to-date and will take the chloroquine meds before we go. All it takes is one bite.

Better safe than sorry.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I've been 26 times(since '94) & yet to take any meds for it(have for the jungles of Belize on mission trips but but not for Roatan)....Our house is @ Sandy Bay on the water about 1.5 miles east of AKR, just east of BIBR, Sundancer Cabanas house #1(www.sundancerroatan.com)...Our son lived there 3 and a half years(West End) & never had any problems......In our case, we never take the meds for Roatan.....(The malaria signs have been up for a Long time........)

DavidHickey:
Good Afternoon,
Have a question not sure if I'm posting in the right forum but I figure its a basic question. I'm going to Coco view restort in Roatan in 14 days and 22 hours or something like that. And I was reading some info and some of the posters were talking about taking Malaria pills. Is this really a concern? I would have never even thought about, I've been to alot of Caribbean destinations but first time in Honduras. Any advice on this?
Thanks
David

In our case, never........IMO, it's not a big deal...& I've been badly bit before there.......(see below post to another poster)......

Any place listed as being at risk, does so for a reason. As a veteran of traveling to malarial areas, I never (and I say again..NEVER) go without taking malaria meds. I grew up in Sarasota Florida and knew Eugenie Clark, the shark expert. She spent time in PNG studying the sharks there. She, evidently, thought being on a boat lowered her danger of malaria. Unfortunately, she became soooo sick from malaria it risked her life. IMHO not worth it. I've taken just about every med on the market over the years. I now take Malarone. It has no side effects to mention, personally.
If they mention a risk, they do it for a reason!!

Do yourself a favor and take the malaria meds. Maybe a lot of people haven't gotten it in the same area but just across the bay is Puerto Cortes and some other coastal cities where malaria is rampant. If a person with malaria from the mainland is on the island and a mosquito feeds on him it can pass it on to you. You are in for a big surprise if you get it. Also, you have to watch out for dengue fever and HIV is a problem, especially on Roatan.

. . .And take some DEET spray, permethrin treatment for clothing, and a portable mosquito net to be really prepared. You should be just as aware for the signs & symptoms of contracting Dengue Fever as well. . .

I'll be there in October, and I plan to have the malaria drugs. It is treatable. So, an ounce of prevention or pound of cure (weighed against the risk of contracting it)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom