Maldives or Phuket? Best option for a novice diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lots of mantas....

The last couple of seasons there have been a lot of Mantas around North of the Similan Islands at Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, and also at Hin Daeng. I attach a photo taken at Koh Bon by one of our customers on Le Mahe liveaboard in the beginning of January 2004.

Come on folks, we need some more votes!

I agree with Sunrise Koh Bon is Manta city, and last time I was there we also had a few around at Elephant Head. Whale sharks are ten a penny in the Maldives if you go South Ari Atoll in May (best) or November (2nd best month). Last May saw 12 in 6 dives. Operator had 57 sightings during the month of May total. Its not just where you are but when you are that counts as well.

Just to answer Sunrises vote having been to both locations a number of times. You only get the best out of Andaman diving if you are prepared to go liveaboard but you can get teriffic land based diving in the Maldives so on this basis I give the nod to The Maldives. I don't say one is better than the other, each has its particular highlights, whether thats harlequin shrips, ribbon eels or 5M Mantas in Thailand or Frogfish, 8M whalesharks followed by a few beers in a bar a hot shower and a good nights sleep in your own room in the Maldives.

Timing is everything in anything. Having been to both places regularly, I'd give the nod to the maldives for better biodiversity (which is my preference). Many here seems to rank whalesharks and mantas as the mark of good diving. If that were the case then, I'd give the trophy to my trip on the Manthiri in 2000 where I had over 20 mantas flying thru in 30m viz, and later in the trip 2 whalesharks while on the southern atolls. Corals were very bleached and damaged from El Nino and possibly bombing or cyanide fishing in the far south atolls. I saw more reef sharks in 1 dive in the Maldives than any of my recent trips out to the Andaman sea. True, the silver tips of Burma Banks were nice once... but that was 10 years ago, they are a fond memory now.
Fish biodiversity is better in the Maldives, with better variety of subspecies of any given species, eg Anthias. Then again, I saw sailfish in Mergui and also pseudo orcas. Can't beat that in my 6 liveaboard trips and 3 resort trips to the Maldives. To be fair, I go to the Andaman more often.
And also realize there are certain species of marine life that each of the areas have the other doesn't (or more likely haven't been seen and reported). So I'll have to renege on my statement and so that ranking is not such a good idea and that we should do both more often to get a definitive answer ;-)

While both the Maldives and Phuket have their respective strong points (I've dived both), as you are a novice diver, have only a long weekend and cost does not seem to be an object, I'd recommend the Maldives.

More specifically, you may want to consider the Ellaidhoo Resort, which has a very nice housereef. I've never dived at this specific resort, but according to Tim Godfrey's excellent book, "Dive Maldives", he claims that "of all the resorts in the Maldives, Ellaidhoo has one of the best and most convenient housereef dives." He goes on to state that "Ellaidhoo divers can dive the housereef whenever they like and rarely complain of being bored." He rates it a Beginners site, if conditions are suitable. His book lists fish life for the reef as very good and coral growth excellent.

If you choose not to dive, snorkelling on the housereef is also an option, since you will have your mask and fins with you.

Your planned travel period of April falls within the transition period between Monsoons in the Maldives. In April, calm, windless days are more likely to be experienced than at any other time of the year.

If I'm not mistaken, the dive operation there has been managed by a reputable European operator for at least a decade.

It sounds like a very good place for a novice diver to spend a long weekend!

You may want to do an internet search for "Ellaidhoo" for further resort/diving details. I have no affiliation with them.

While Phuket has a lot to offer, IMHO diving the better sites around Phuket is more suitable for divers with a little more experience than you currently have. I was there in January doing day-trips and there were many novices who were seasick from the boat rides and who were obviously struggling with some of the conditions at the better sites.

Whichever you choose, enjoy !

Back
Top Bottom