Malta diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

admikar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I come here and see that bunch of my posts in this thread are deleted
Reason, off topic.
Fine, moderators think it's off topic. But rest of the posts directly related to that are left behind. So, should I go and report those?
I always think main benefit of SB is providing information to people. New diver came here and asked about information on Malta diving. I pointed his attention to something that he clearly had no idea of.
BTW, I am quite certain I got reported by a member that has vested interest in Malta diving and that contacted me via DM.
I would prefer if mods tried to hear my side of the story before deleting my posts.

As much as you post had some great info David, I would assume, without checking, that Admikars deleted posts documented the hopeless legal cases Maltese government have made for people diving over there.

As much as you post had some great info David, I would assume, without checking, that Admikars deleted posts documented the hopeless legal cases Maltese government have made for people diving over there.
The ones I'm aware of are very few - counted on one hand. Starting off the accident rate is in single digit every year so already - not many to start off from, but if @admikar wants to repost... I can check or ask.

I say yes, some of the prosecutions might have been avoidable - humans run the process, not robots.

Then again, if the victim would have been a relative / close friend, or had the fault been from faulty equipment rental etc., the only current oversight is a court of law... not that that process doesn't have MANY issues - we know to start off that our courts don't have any understanding of diving (the court sentence in the links I posted makes a diver shiver). It's understandable that we all love the sport and know certain risks are there, but from a legal point of view, it might still be a near-fatal or indeed fatal accident that would be under "investigation".

Now would be happy if you went on holiday to a lawless place with no investigation if it's a dive accident, simply because it's a "dangerous sport"?

I say yes, some of the prosecutions might have been avoidable - humans run the process, not robots.
The Castillo case was avoidable by any honest process run by humans.

Then again, if the victim would have been a relative / close friend, or had the fault been from faulty equipment rental etc.,
Are you saying that there is no investigation possible prior to prosecution? That isn't promising.

A legitimate legal system is uninfluenced by "if the victim would have been a relative / close friend".

Now would be happy if you went on holiday to a lawless place with no investigation if it's a dive accident, simply because it's a "dangerous sport"?
Exactly! Investigate before you accuse and prosecute. If you aren't competent to investigate, you aren't competent to prosecute. If your friends or family is involved, you should recuse yourself.

What Malta has now is exactly the opposite of what you claim. Lawless prosecutors and judges harassing innocent foreigners because "friends and family".

Most other countries aren't as lawless as Malta, that is why it has it's current reputation.

Interesting book review in today's Wall St Journal.
Relevant to this topic, should you have an accident while diving...

A Death in Malta, by Paul Galicia

Interesting book review in today's Wall St Journal.
Relevant to this topic, should you have an accident while diving...

A Death in Malta, by Paul Galicia
Now, now. According to dive instructors from Malta everything is nice and dandy now.

Reactions: L13
Would anyone here rather 2 morning dives or 1 afternoon dive in Malta in mid-April? What would be the better times? I am thinking morning would be better because you haven't spent yourself during the day yet. What do you think here?

Back
Top Bottom