Maltese diving regulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are the Maltese "regulations" contrary to what the training agencies train divers for?
No major training agency requires you have a DM to dive at depths less than 18m.
It sounds like a scam to keep Maltese DMs employed.
Then a lot of countries are even worse. Everybody diving with a guide. Totally useless. But yes, they are employed.

Do an aow directly after your ow is not that hard and then all problems of renting gear in Malta are solved. The risks in Malta are depth and waves/currents. So I understand the rules, because a lof of divers think they can dive, or they is told they can dive, but are trained by an instructor that just hold your hand. If you got ow and aow and never dived without a guide, how experienced are you? Still not. You learn diving by doing. And also cold water, dark water, nightdives, etc without a guide to help you is needed to become really experienced. I have seen divers with over 500 dives, but never dove without a dm, that were not able to dive on their own.

did you have been diving in malta before?
the swells ans waves can be super dangerous.
so better check and go with a shop first

Malta requiring diving with a DM for the beginners is something I am OK with considering the environment and conditions there. It is prudent to require so. You want to go on your own, you should take an advanced course and get experience and then go on your own. I'd want to dive with a DM if and when I go to Malta even if I am not required to just because of the potential issues that can happen due to the conditions and unique landscape there. Their other rules are just most un-enticing to say the least.

also the way t some divesites, gozo, are realy challanging. i saw a few time poeple destroying the rental cars at middlefinger

ever been diving middlefinger or reqqa point? if you dont know the rocks you will smash your sump

ever been diving middlefinger or reqqa point? if you dont know the rocks you will smash your sump
I have done and I have done without a guide. But we are not beginners in diving. Middle finger is really deep (I have been there to over 100m depth), and also some other places are tricky. But to say that it only can be done without guide, no.

I have done and I have done without a guide. But we are not beginners in diving. Middle finger is really deep (I have been there to over 100m depth), and also some other places are tricky. But to say that it only can be done without guide, no.

I believe that he meant for the inexperience or first timer.

nobody said that its impossible without a guide!
and if you never drove down the cliffs, do it first with some guides!
but iam totaly with you. its a nice island to go without a guide. if you are allowed ands able to.
i would do every dive minimum once

Back
Top Bottom