Man of wars invade Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Today on Davis,Hens and Chickens and Davey/Crocker reefs there were hundreds of Man of Wars. Be careful out there because they are everywhere. One plus is that there were plenty of turtles munching on them.

Be real careful, they hurt like hell.

we had mow off Miami Beach last night here and there and lots of jellies underwater around the Sheri-Lynn and Belzona Barges. Water temp 66 - 68.

Yesterday a 15ft great white did a swim by. The fisherman who told me this said, he was fishing at Davis reef in 60ft of water with a chum bag in the back.

Whats the deal with the Man'o War? It this a seasonal thing or something with the current wx? How long will they be around in numbers?

Anyone/

It looks like they are blowing ashore in Broward and Palm beach

Man-of-war: Man-of-war loom large across beaches in Broward, Palm Beach counties - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

FORT LAUDERDALE —
Portuguese man-of-war have stormed the beaches in Broward and Palm Beach counties in recent days, prompting lifeguards to warn beachgoers to keep out of the water.

Most beachside cities, including Hollywood, Pompano Beach, Boca Raton and [URL="http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/delraybeach?track=tax-delraybeach"]Delray Beach[/URL], reported the presence of man-of-war. If southeasterly winds stay at a steady 5 mph to 10 mph, there's a chance the pesky sea creatures will linger this weekend, Delray Beach Ocean Rescue Superintendent James Scala said Friday.

Before hitting the beach Saturday and Sunday, residents should check their cities' ocean rescue websites for the latest conditions, he said.

Get weekend home delivery of the SunSentinel for only $1.25 per week! Use offer code: WEBSUN

"It's all going to depend on the wind," Scala said. "We've had the right conditions and the right time of year. Man-of-war are at the stage of being mature. And with the steady wind, you get a prolific number that are being blown into our shoreline."

With neon purple and blue balloon-like floats and dangling tentacles, man-of-war deliver powerful stings that can sometimes cause swelling and shortness of breath. Lifeguards usually keep gels and solutions on hand to treat any stings.

Hundreds of man-of-war washed ashore north of the Pompano Beach Pier on Thursday, requiring lifeguards to treat 22 people for stings, said Sandra King, Pompano Beach Fire Rescue spokeswoman.

On Wednesday, Delray Beach Ocean Rescue treated about 45 people for stings; Thursday, it was 30. Lifeguards on Friday took the added step of walking up to beachgoers to warn them, lowering the number of stings to about 15, officials said.

No serious injuries have been reported.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/br...an-o-war-warning-brf-20110204,0,1772812.story

I got a report today of jillions and jillions of them at the outside of Hillsboro Inlet.
Portuguese -O-War as well as 2-3 other species of jellyfish.
Everyone on the boat (4 divers) took a hit.
I am supposed to be out tomorrow and I am cringing that I may take a hit already.

Chug
Sometime cry-baby.

rode out to molasses reef this morning and the man of wars were everywhere again(shoreline all the way to the outer reef). winds were 15kts , 3-5ft seas(white caps made it difficult to spot juvenille man of wars) and water temp 73F. only 1 commercial dive boat on the reef. we decided to bag it and attempt to dive tomorrow. as yesterday, we observed 2 adult loggerheads munching on the jellies.

reefman
key largo

Chug,

Dove the Captain Dan this evening. I believe your jillions estimate was accurate. The Dan wasn't bad but when we dropped for a second dive on Razzle Dazzle reef, there were literally thousands of jellies, with man'o'war mixed in around us down to about 20 feet. Some of us took hits (I was lucky). One of my buddies took a nasty face hit on the surface as he hit the water and called his dive. After he and I got back on the boat, I was done for the evening, though some other divers fought their way through and had a lovely drift dive.

Went out this morning to Ft. Lauderdale to do a shore dive at LBTS, even though i saw about 20-30 washed up on shore i still went in the water....bad or should i say stupid move on my part.
I was about 20 ft from the buoy when i got attacked in the face, neck and wrists, thank god i was wearing my 3mm wetsuit or else it would've been much worse.
I quickly swam back to shore and headed home but not before going to a grocery store for a bottle of white vinegar......OUCH!!!
I hope they get the hell outta here soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom