Manado to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmorgan

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're flying from Manado to Sorong, presumably on Lion, to board a liveaboard. Our very-reliable travel agent is comfortable with our departing Manado on the day of embarkation. Understanding that there's always some risk of delay, is it a terrible idea to count on Lion to get us there on the day the boat departs? I've seen a good bit about relatively-minor delays, but not too many about outright cancellation.

Good thing is that it is one of the first flight of the day and the plane is supposed to be in already in Manado from the day before, hence less chance to be canceled or delayed.
That's the one I also took 3 months ago : piece of cake.

I suppose you're overnighting in Manado, try a klapertaart when you're there (local sweet coconut/custard pie) you can even purchase it at the airport.

Excellent--Thanks, Luko. And klapertaart it will be.

We did this for a trip to Saumlaki from Ambon. There's only 1 flight a day so it seemed kind of risky but there were 7 of us doing it so we figured the boat would wait if something happened. Nothing happened! The flight went off on time and we got to the boat on time and it all worked out. If it was risky your tour operator would tell you not to do it.

We did this for a trip to Saumlaki from Ambon. There's only 1 flight a day so it seemed kind of risky but there were 7 of us doing it so we figured the boat would wait if something happened. Nothing happened! The flight went off on time and we got to the boat on time and it all worked out. If it was risky your tour operator would tell you not to do it.
Great! (I’m not sure about the tour-operator part, but I take your point)

Great! (I’m not sure about the tour-operator part, but I take your point)
sorry - we asked our tour company if it was a bad idea to ly out the same day and they said thats what people typically do and it should be fine.

We have a great travel agent who is confident in this itinerary. My reaction was related to a trip last spring where flights were cancelled galore by (yes, I'll name-and-shame) Air Niugini--it took folks we were traveling with an extra three nights to get home.

It should be fine. I have taken this flight twice before and it was fine both times. If anything, a delay and not a full cancel. You can track flight history to see how it has fared to get a sample set. If it's any consolation, even if you miss the departure by a day and have to grab the next flight out, the liveaboard will likely still be within striking distance of Waisai (a ferry ride away) and a quick speedboat ride still diving the central dampier area so you could easily catch up. You could even charter your own speedboat from Sorong if the ferry schedule didn't work out....It's just a matter of paying a boat to take you - so have travel insurance that will pay for you to catch up if so. and keep your emergency contact number for the cruise director/liveaboard office handy.

I know someone that had to do this due to an issue unrelated to Manado flights (she joined a day late and had to catch up) and it went smoothly.

Back
Top Bottom