Manifold Removal????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
how can i tell if i can seperate my doubles while their pressurized? according to what i've read, there are a few different types of valves. some will have no pressure with the valves closed, some will be pressurized. how can i tell???

I don't know of any manifolds that are not pressurized. The whole point of the manifold is that both tanks feed the cross piece even when the valves are closed. The valve handle controls the outlet, not the cross piece. So the isolator (if there is one) is pressurized even when both valves are closed. Maybe really old single outlet reserve manifolds operated without pressure when the valve was closed.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Just vent them off and remove with the vavlves open. Out of curiosity, why would you want to split the valves perssurized? The idea about manifolds is that 2 tanks are cmbined to be one large gas supply with 2 outputs that are valved. You can seperate them with one tank presurized but the other has to be vented.

Now that i have said that let my also say that long ago there was a device what was a piece of pipe with a reg fitting in the center and yolk clamps on the ends. The yolk clamps were attached to the 2 tanks regulator attached ,,,,,and THEN the tank valves were tuened on to supply air to he corss connect. below is a link to such a device top row 2nd from right

http://www.google.com/images?q=scub..._group&ei=UC6yU96uK8PjoASIs4DwDQ&ved=0CCcQsAQ

i need to seperate a set of lp 108s that ive had for a while. their full, and i needed a tank for a friend for a dive in the morning. and to have them re-filled is an hour away. i know thats how they work. but out curiosity i started reading, wiki-pedia was talkin about some older manifolds that could be separated while pressurized. these tanks are kinda old, so i was just wondering how i could tell.

Is there a single outlet on the manifold or two? Maybe a single outlet one would be old enough to meet your requirements. But renting a tank would cost $5 and is a whole lot easier for your buddy.

BTW, the thing KWS referenced was referred to as a cheater bar or suicide bar. I still have a couple of them lying around that I don't use anymore if someone wants to buy one.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

You cant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not aware of a doubles manifold that can be separated under pressure that has been made for decades, like before a lot of divers on this board were born. I don't think any of them work on 215mm/8½" standard bands today.

Attachments

• Doubles Adapter.jpg
    Doubles Adapter.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 348
Here's what you could do but it would be inefficient and you need a decant whip;

Shut isolator.

Drain one cylinder to empty.

Unscrew manifold from empty side only.

Insert blanking plug into empty cylinder's manifold outlet.

Decant from full cylinder into empty cylinder remembering that P1xV1 = P2xV2 so the result won't be very good.

You will also need plugs to plug where the manifold screws into each valve. Of course, the tank will be empty at this point. Really a PIA to break down doubles and then put them back together. I hate doing it for hydro's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom