manual white balance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried to get my camera to do what yours did. I guess I'm not good enough to make it mess up :lol2: . Here is as close as I got. The splotches are not pink and I think they are from variations in light from the surface. I was pretty shallow and the sky was mostly cloudy with patches of sun. I'll try again tomorrow if the weather holds out.

SeaYoda:
Here is as close as I got. The splotches are not pink and I think they are from variations in light from the surface. I was pretty shallow and the sky was mostly cloudy with patches of sun.

Is that a Sea Robin?

Pink tinges: I'll bet the problem is due to the fact that you've got multiple light sources (flash and overhead), and they are being filtered differently, and different parts of your photo are getting different proportions of the two light sources.

For instance, a foreground subject lit mainly by flash, much like your slate, will give bad background colors because the background color is set by the ambient light, which has been filtered by a whole lot more water.

You'll see this a lot in above-water photography too; frequently people's faces are much whiter (bluer) than the background when fill-in flash is used. (Not just exposure; even when the exposure is fine the color temperature is different.)

Solution: the only solution after the fact is to retouch, I guess. Since it's hard to "pose" your subjects underwater, there's probably not much you other than this.

Dee, I noticed this picture in your Roatan set. What I find strange about it is that in this one the red tinge is in the upper lefthand corner, but there is a circular untinged area in the corner itself that is very pronounced. Any idea what would have caused this? It's really wierd.

http://allenhost.com/gallery/Roatan-Wrecks/aaa?full=1

Did it come out of the camera looking like this or was this an artifact from you trying to post-process the red away?

mandrake:
Dee, I noticed this picture in your Roatan set. What I find strange about it is that in this one the red tinge is in the upper lefthand corner, but there is a circular untinged area in the corner itself that is very pronounced. Any idea what would have caused this? It's really wierd.

http://allenhost.com/gallery/Roatan-Wrecks/aaa?full=1

Did it come out of the camera looking like this or was this an artifact from you trying to post-process the red away?

Is the flash on an arm in the upper left corner? I wouldn't be surprised if that's (very white) light from the flash bouncing off particles in the water. But I'm just guessing on this one.

Really some cool photos there.

mandrake:
Is that a Sea Robin?
I'm not sure what it is yet. I've seen small ones but this is the second time I've seen the larger ones. They dig down in the sand so could easily be stepped on - hope it's not a relative of the scorpion fish. I'll be checking around to find out what it is. I have a better shot that I want to put in my gallery but I don't know what to call it. I have several "unknowns" there already :D .

SeaYoda:
I'm not sure what it is yet. I've seen small ones but this is the second time I've seen the larger ones. They dig down in the sand so could easily be stepped on - hope it's not a relative of the scorpion fish. I'll be checking around to find out what it is. I have a better shot that I want to put in my gallery but I don't know what to call it. I have several "unknowns" there already :D .

Definitely a sea robin. Here's a link I found in google with a photo:

http://www.thejump.net/id/searobin2.htm

The reason I was asking was because I know we have them up here in Massachusetts (though I don't see them much), but I wasn't aware they went all the way down to Florida. According to some links I was reading they appear all along the East Coast.

mandrake:
Definitely a sea robin.
Thanks for the help. I'll have to read up on this one!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom