Many Active Victorians or Aussies on the forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do some research on the Hallam place, I have heard about it can't recall whether it was a really bad review or really good! Definitely get 7mm. A good 7mm (I like pinnacle Vulcan if they are still making them) will get you through winter just. Add a lavacore and you will get most of the year anyway.

the weight is a killer but you get used to it, the 7mm requires bit! Blame it on the wetsuit :) Diveline will sort you out!

I dive all winter in a 6.5 semidry with no problems at all, but I do have a nice layer of natural insulation......

Good luck with the dive, I hope you smash it.

Let us know how you went on

hope to catch up for a dive soon

Cheers

Nath

MA:
Do some research on the Hallam place, I have heard about it can't recall whether it was a really bad review or really good!
Where would I look for reviews.. ? Or info?

Definitely get 7mm. A good 7mm (I like pinnacle Vulcan if they are still making them) will get you through winter just. Add a lavacore and you will get most of the year anyway.
yea, kewl.... will sus it out....

the weight is a killer but you get used to it, the 7mm requires bit! Blame it on the wetsuit :) Diveline will sort you out!
Yep, I have no doubt!

yeah g'day

new diver (well new in aus anyway) anxiously waiting for my gear to arrive so I can get diving

any of you lot got a good source of info for vic diving? I did a shore dive (dressed hilariously in '80s dive gear) at Inverloch last week but had pretty crap conditions. Shame since I heard there are some great dives in the area but I have no info on specific sites

ok - 5mm or 7mm suit??? I keep getting told different things....
Haha, suits come in less than 7mm? Not in my Melbourne kit bag they don't!
I can just get by in summer with a 7mm semi-dry plus a lavacore vest.

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 11:12 PM ----------

any of you lot got a good source of info for vic diving?

Here's a list of local shore dives. For boat dives the Dive Victoria website has lots of info. Enjoy!
https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/melbourne-shore-dives.htm

Last edited:
Well had a blast today :)

Ran a 5mm suit and was nice and warm. Viz was off the scale down at Franga Pier... tons of life AND I LOVED IT!!! good to be back.

Great stuff! Glad you enjoyed it.
But you saw lots of life at Frankston Pier? I consider Frankston one of the more dead spots around so either you got very lucky or you're going to absolutely love some of the other dive sites. Get down to Flinders or Blairgowrie, especially on a night dive.

Reactions: MA
Great stuff! Glad you enjoyed it.
But you saw lots of life at Frankston Pier? I consider Frankston one of the more dead spots around so either you got very lucky or you're going to absolutely love some of the other dive sites. Get down to Flinders or Blairgowrie, especially on a night dive.
I'm loving what your saying about other sites! LOL

Most of the life wasn't huge, and lots you had to have a good look for, which I don't mind -not large fish and things, but I cant believe how many starfish there were... plenty of pipe fish, Paul found a well hidden blue ring occy that I would never have found, shed loads of puffers, few leather jackets, and numerous clouds of small fish.. Was unsure about the idea behind the "pots' or what ever they are called out past the pier... each one had a fish living in them, but they are strange. Saw a few small rays down there too...

Highly recommend the guys down at Diveline Frankston and publicly thank Paul down there for giving me the confidence to hit it again with my disabilities after the hit and run... :)
Gave me heaps of confidence and support, and showed me heaps while down..

I did struggle a touch with buoyancy but then it was the first time in the water for 20 yrs with all new gear..

Looking forward to next time.

Reactions: MA
Hi Mate,

Awesome to hear that it went well, I have to back up Steyr's comments about the other piers down the peninsula being awesome. You may have just missed out the ability to dive Blairgowrie as construction is about to begin on extending the pier. This is a real shame as the life there is amazing.

Flinders pier is also a great dive with many weedy's and if you exit at high tide you can pretty much swim onto the lower landing..

Welcome back to diving and might catch you underwater some time

Dive safe

Nath

AS the others have said, given how much you enjoyed Frankston you really are going to LOVE blair and flinders. smooth rays!!! recently i was trying to take a photo of a huge smooth ray, a weedy photo bombed. just a typical dive at flinders :)

Whilst you were toast I would still very much recommend the 7mm. its about 20 out there now but in winter it will be about 10! The temps drop pretty quickly after summer, you will likely need the extra warmth.

Diveline and Paul are great! He really loves his diving, and its evident in how he runs his shop. Sounds like we will see you at the next club night!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom