Many Active Victorians or Aussies on the forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MA:
Diveline and Paul are great! He really loves his diving, and its evident in how he runs his shop. Sounds like we will see you at the next club night!
he was talkin of going out again later today. unsure if he did.. I was sleeping :(

Dunno why, but from memory, when I started diving years ago usually it would smash me - meaning Im usually knackered when I get out.. maybe its just getting used to it again... :)

Club night I'll have to sus it out first.

Here you go - a few photos I took just on shore dives over the past couple of months (not at Frankston). To whet your appetite for more diving. :)

16408155166_a599fa6109_z.jpg
16408168156_bafeb285f2_z.jpg

16246792150_6058d44093_z.jpg
16248316217_a6897d067d_z.jpg

16246829610_c3e8929608_z.jpg
16247815069_a2a356c5a8_z.jpg

16432291021_4363757482_z.jpg
16408282056_a8f050d2b4_z.jpg

Nice... makes me miss my old Nikonos.. :(

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 09:03 PM ----------

I might try and get out again this weekend while its a tad warm....

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 10:25 PM ----------

Nice... makes me miss my old Nikonos.. :(

---------- Post added February 4th, 2015 at 09:03 PM ----------

I might try and get out again this weekend while its a tad warm....

Also what should I look for in a Computer for a noob??? Computers were really new when I gave up last time, never used one underwater.

Hey mate,

Many a war has been started over a question like what is a good dive computer. lol. Firstly my opinion is not worth a pinch of salt so take out of this what you want and ignore the rest.

I recently went thru the process of buying my first dive computer and spent a lot of time researching. In the end for me what it came down to was what features were must haves and nice to haves.

There are a few decisions that you need to make what govern what you end up with and just because someone else thinks it’s a mandatory feature don’t mean that you will. Things that were a must have for me were

Number of gasses (Nitrox capable)
Form (wrist vs console) Wrist
User replaceable battery
Gauge mode
Size of display / info available ( liking the layout of data)

Nice to haves fell into things like

Pc interface
Air integration
Compass
Plus many more

All of the dive computers will do what you need them to do to some degree so it comes down to features that are must haves and the things you can live without.

The suunto Zoops are a very popular unit so may be worth a look.

I ended up getting a scubapro chromis which ticked all the boxes for me and has been great so far. It’s a simple dive computer but if I decide to upgrade or get into tech diving it will make a fantastic back up pc.

There are some good sites on the net that compare computers such as
Dive Computer Expert Reviews - Finding the Best Scuba Computers For You

also keep in the back of your mind that dive shops sell dive gear and may not point you in the direction of a competitor’s product.

So my advice is to ask plenty of questions and have a clear mind of what style of diving you will be using it for. There is no use getting a trimix capable unit if you are only ever going to dive on air.

If you have any questions let me know and hopefully I can be of assistance

Cheers

Nath

I will also add in the algorithm is important. Eg my old mares computer was terrible for multiple dives. I switched to a suunto which I have loved. But now as a regular melbourne diver I've invested in a shearwater petrel as it has a large visible screen which is awesome for melb often low light conditions and with more exposure gear than I was used to as tropical diver. Plus it does everything you will ever need.

Thanks people, fawk these things are expensive aren't they... I think a lot of questions and thought need to go into this..

Yes. Maybe read through the computer section of dive equipment here on scuba board. That has a load of useful information from fellow divers! It may help narrow your selection anyway.

comouters will last a very long time. Could be worth browsing ebay or gum tree also.

MA:
Yes. Maybe read through the computer section of dive equipment here on scuba board. That has a load of useful information from fellow divers! It may help narrow your selection anyway.

comouters will last a very long time. Could be worth browsing ebay or gum tree also.

yea it would be used not new.. heaps on nastybay, just don't know if they are good or not LOL!

Thought I'd ask just in case someone was updating round here :)

I've started looking through the computer section, but its like Russian Roulette... gets confusing quickly... lol
might pick the brains down at the shop, but they will only wanna sell new :(

Hey,

What price range are you looking at. We might be able to suggest some units as a guide the suunto zoop is a very popular entry level computer that comes in at around $400.00

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/dive...id=905&zenid=c3da8c9c344259476c1c44cf8ae707ab

pretty much has the same features as most entry level computers. I have never used this particular unit. Ive used the scubapro xp10 and own the scubapro chromis ($440.00)

For about 300ish you can pick up a Mares puck which also seem to be a good entry level unit but once again ive never used one.

best of luck on the search and if you have any questions fire them at us and im sure you will get some helpful info.

Cheers

Nath

F

Hey,

What price range are you looking at. We might be able to suggest some units as a guide the suunto zoop is a very popular entry level computer that comes in at around $400.00

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/dive...id=905&zenid=c3da8c9c344259476c1c44cf8ae707ab

pretty much has the same features as most entry level computers. I have never used this particular unit. Ive used the scubapro xp10 and own the scubapro chromis ($440.00)

For about 300ish you can pick up a Mares puck which also seem to be a good entry level unit but once again ive never used one.

best of luck on the search and if you have any questions fire them at us and im sure you will get some helpful info.

Cheers

Nath

F
Thanks Nath.. yea those prices are pretty good :) Better than 1100.. :wink:

I'm not sure what features they offer, what features I really "NEED/MUST HAVE"... What features are just "nice to have"
I guess its down to the individual, but I'd be interested to hear what you guys have and what you recommend as Must have's.. :)

https://www.scubadoctor.com.au/dive...107_92&zenid=c3da8c9c344259476c1c44cf8ae707ab handy read :)

I guess its the same as anything, regs, cars, bikes, boats.. just guess I'm jumping the gun a touch - I have that awesome oober keenness running out of me everywhere LOL...

Might go talk to Hallam again about a custom wetty too and see if they will budge on price - I think I like the 2 piece better than the 1 piece...

or if its worth them modifying my old 2 piece... but don't think it will be.

Back
Top Bottom