Mapping route question to Vortex

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ehhhhh, that's ok. I'll take my chances with the locals crossing the road with their cattle.

No use in rushing my trek to the light. Lol

Ken

Try staying on 65 to Georgiana
Then 55 to Andalusia
Then 84 to Opp
Then Al 52 to Samson
Then Al 87/Fl81 on into Vortex
Have and adventure

Or Better go Al 55 from Andalusia to Florala and pick up 331
Then down to US 90 and across to PDL

heck... the worst part about going to Vortex is the last half-mile on their own road.

I haven't been there in a while, but last time I was, the road was so "washboard" that it'd rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

We were there last weekend. After the thunderstorm(s) passed through, 500 divers descended on Vortex. Visibility was less than 6'. Your right, the road into Vortex is the worst. We were driving an RV. Tough road! After the sun went down and most of the divers left, the visibility got much better. Sunday morning (early), you could see from one side to the other. Because the Gulf was so rough, I believe most divers opted for Vortex. Hopefully the Gulf will be better this weekend so there won't be so many at Vortex:)

I was at Vortex one day, where I swear, visibility was measured in inches, not feet.

As long as it's better than that, I'll be happy :)

The weather radar looks like some drunk artist splashed a blob of orange and red all over North Florida and South Alabama. Grrrrrrr this so sucks. Either way, class or no class some diving will be done. Nothing else, we'll pull lawn chairs up, sip some suds, tell old lies and hope for better weather next time.

Kenny

Vortex should be fine regardless of the rains. There will be immediate runoff into the basin, but it shouldn't get inundated unless Otter Creek gets over its berm.

I'm willing to bet the Gulf will be ****, yet again! LOL

Friday
West winds around 15 knots with higher gusts. Seas 4 to 6 nearshore...6 to 8 feet offshore. Protected waters a light to moderate chop.

Friday Night
Northwest winds around 15 knots becoming north after midnight. Seas 2 to 4 feet nearshore...4 to 6 feet offshore. Protected waters a light to moderate chop.

Saturday
East winds 10 to 15 knots becoming southeast 5 to 10 knots in the afternoon. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Protected waters a light to moderate chop decreasing to smooth in the afternoon.

Saturday Night
Southeast winds 5 to 10 knots increasing to around 15 knots after midnight. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Protected waters smooth increasing to a light to moderate chop.

Sunday
Southwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet building to 4 to 6 feet. Protected waters choppy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms.

Sunday Night
Southwest winds around 20 knots with higher gusts. Seas 5 to 8 feet. Protected waters choppy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms

The surface temperature is 68 F though.

Now for Morrison - The Choctawhatchee will still be two-feet above flood all weekend. Looks like Vortex is the place to be or the opera or the art museum.

Back
Top Bottom