Marathon Key Trip Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, thanks for the insult...but I still wish you a Merry Christmas regardless on how you spell your name.....:kiss2:
Selectively pedantic, I see.

You did see this, right?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Ok people, time to back away from the keyboards and take a breather for a bit. It's the internet, misinterpretations happen, no need to get worked up over it.

And now...can we please think about ways to assist the original poster? I see that your location is listed as Marathon. How about giving him a friendly assist instead of criticizing him and being rude to others? Let's be charitable during this holiday season.

I do believe that Marathon is a city, not an island. Anyway, if I were in your shoes, I'd drive on up to Bud and Mary's Marina, about 20 miles up the road (Islamorada) and stop in and talk with the guys and gals at 'KEY DIVES'. They go regularly to the Eagle wreck and on some occassions on up to other wrecks around Largo. They are on the internet, by the way.

Ok, I finally booked a trip with Tilden's Dive Center on the Tuesday Dec 29th morning trip to the Thunderbolt. They were the only shop that fit my schedule and wasn't booked so I decided to go out with them. So far, my experience has been very good; nice staff, basic shop. If you want to go out, give em a call or send me a message, I'll post the report when I get back.

Ok, I finally booked a trip with Tilden's Dive Center on the Tuesday Dec 29th morning trip to the Thunderbolt. They were the only shop that fit my schedule and wasn't booked so I decided to go out with them. So far, my experience has been very good; nice staff, basic shop. If you want to go out, give em a call or send me a message, I'll post the report when I get back.

Cool! We'll expect a dive report!

Safe diving!

Just got back from the dive and trying to write a coherent response before passing out.

Dive #1: We arrived at the Thunderbolt according to schedule but damn was the spray/wind cold! The captain (s) and dm(s) were very kind and accommodating, letting me do my own thing with some minor restrictions. I was pretty much allowed to do anything but go into deco or do technical penetration inside the wreck. I stayed close to the crowd just to keep things easy for the guide. The viz was around 50 ft, water temp 74 on top 70 on bottom, and very mild current. After about 20 min, I went up with everyone else got back on the boat. Some interesting highlights: when I jumped off, my spool came unraveled (happens to the best of us) and I had to do a bit of reeling and cutting to save the spool (made me mad), and I saw some beautiful hogs.

Dive #2: Was a reef. About 25 ft deep max (same water temps) and saw a nurse shark, eels, a lot of conch, etc. The charter limited us to 50 min, which was fine, and allowed us all to do our own profiles so long as we stayed in the group.

Some notes about the boat/shop: Very nice crew and had great conversations about spear fishing, new england wreck diving, fish, etc. This is a fantastic recreational shop. That being said, nothing technical (except for equipment) is allowed but they certainly do their best to accommodate the few tech divers that get down. The charter has a policy that EVERY diver purchase or have a snorkel, which is a little ridic in my opinion but policy. I ended up zip tying a clip to my snorkel and attaching it to my but d-ring (very funny) :rofl3:. Their instructors seem to know what they are doing and have very solid teaching philosophies/backgrounds. As a side note, if you are getting your doubles filled here, remind whoever is filling the tanks that they only need to fill one tank with the isolator open. Mine ended up being shut and they filled both tanks separately, no big deal, but just saying. I would go back if I were doing another recreational dive but may look elsewhere for a technical charter. I definitely recommend them though...

Interesting that they were that anal about Tech things?!?!? (Especially since one of their Captains is a DIR junkie and was thrilled that I had a DIR-ish rig!) The snorkel thing must be new, I keep mine in a pocket and don't remember anyone asking me for one?!?! Weird!

T-Bolt is a nice dive. Lots of BIG sealife on it, I seem to remember seeing some HUGE Hogs and Barracuda on it. (not to mention the Goliath Grouper that just hung off the side of it)

Did they take you to the Donut or the Stake reef? Those two are the most popular down there (well and Sombrero light reef...were you near a lighthouse?

Thanks for the report! Nice to know someone is warm and wet on this frigid day in Pennsylvania!

check out rainbow reef a little farther north at pelican in islamarada you might get the boat to your self check out the eagle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom