Maratua Barracudas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This video clip is part of my later Sangalaki trip video of my latest diving trip to Indonesia. What is so special about diving in Maratua? Check this video out. It’s the largest schooling of Chevron Barracuda that I have ever seen.

First time I saw it was in May 2014 in “Big Fish Country” or some dive operators call it “The Big Channel”. However there were not as many as in the more recent visit. Apparently the huge schooling has moved and congregating more in the next dive site, called “Channel Kecil” (Little Channel).

Cheers
Dan

Excellent Dan, reminds me of when I dived Sipadan back in the early 90s

Excellent Dan, reminds me of when I dived Sipadan back in the early 90s
Sipadan wasn't that bad either 12 years ago.

Sipadan wasn't that bad either 12 years ago.

Wow! Nice shots!

It’s expected to see them in Sipadan as it’s only about 200 km north of Maratua.

A72A0847-401D-4EC6-B4BF-226EA5DF849D.jpeg

Hi Dan, where did you stay at Maratua? And Sangalaki? Any comments on those presorts? Or was it an LOB?

Back in May 2014, I stayed in Nabucco Island Resort, Welcome - Nabuccos Resorts Indonesien Great resort! Highly recommended! Saw similar schooling of barracudas.

Maratua now has airport too. So you don’t need to be on a long boat ride to the resort.

Here’s MrUnderwater Video of the same schooling of barracudas back in May 2013. I think he stay in Nabucco Island resort then too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom