March, 2011 Ogden Point Breakwater video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you shoot this with your rebel or did you get a new video cam? And whats with all the big octos lately? Breeding season?

I'm using a JVC Everio GZHM-300 HD camcorder. I've had it for awhile, but hadn't taken it underwater. I bought a $35 Ikelite housing off E-Bay and recently made a video light so I'm trying it out. I realised after I bought the video camera that it's rated for having the worst low-light performance in the history of technology and the light I made isn't as bright as I'd like. I have to get pretty close to something for the light to have an effect. As for the octos, I'm guessing that they are males who have already mated and are now in retirement, wandering around with nothing to do. They don't seem to care about extending their lifespans, sitting out in the open with all those big Ogden Point lingcod cruising around.

Vimeo movies on safari so far have always worked for me, but this time I can't watch your movie in safari although I can in firefox. I'm guessing it's you :) The movie is great, thanks.

Vimeo movies on safari so far have always worked for me, but this time I can't watch your movie in safari although I can in firefox. I'm guessing it's you :) The movie is great, thanks.

Yep, exactly the same for me. No problems watching Vimeo before in Safari, but yours only works for me in Firefox.

Great video! :wink:

Thanks for sharing that with us Mark. Very nice indeed. First time I dove Ogden Point was 30 years ago and I dove it last year for the first time since then. Still a great dive site.

BTW...works fine in Chrome.

Great video, loved every minute. Glad you saved the crab!

It's pretty common to see Puget Sound king crabs tangled in fishing line at the breakwater. Those 2 were tangled together and attached to a rock. I'm not sure how long fishing line lasts underwater, but there's lots of it being lost there all the time (caught in kelp or between boulders) and it tends to build up over time.

Thanks for the tips regarding how you guys get out to the spots on the breakwater - very useful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom