Mares Abyss Reg set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone give me any information on these regs, I have read the information online about them from the manufacture but I would like to know what folks think that have used them

I dive various water temps, here in maine from 38deg to warm water.

Thanks

Great regulators! I have the older version of the Abyss/MR22. I've never had any problems with it, with proper servicing. The only downsides to the set, is that the first stage is very large and bulky, and this applies to the newer version too. If you're not careful and depending on how you rig your gear, it will catch you in the back of the head, a good few times. I have also noticed that the hose placement is a little awkward for me. And the DFC Port is 1/4" which is just weird and inconvenient. I have never had any issues with this regulator and water temp. In SoCal, it doesn't drop far below 50 degrees, but I do know that Mares makes cold water kits that isolate the diaphragm and main spring from extreme cold water. I would maybe look into that for diving in the north east. I did recently buy a newer regulator, the Mares MR/V42 Metal Proton. If you have the cash, I would most definitely recommend this over even the newest Abyss. The MR/V42 is one of the smallest first stages I've seen on the market, and the Metal Proton is very small, compact, and comfortable as well. Bottom line, get what works for you and your budget. I hope this helps...
IMG_0430.jpgIMG_0431.jpg

My GF owns a Abyss 22 she purchased in 09. She has not had any problem with it including diving in relatively cold water with well over 250 dives on it. It seems to be a fairly popular reg around here and I have seen many using it in cold water or for ice diving/ice diving course without the cold water kit and I have yet to witness a freeflow.

I own the Mares Abyss 22 Extreme setup and I like them. I'm a cold water diver and use them regularly in water temps of 6 degrees Celsius. Haven't had a problem with them so far (knock on wood). I like how they are fairly low profile in the 2nd stage. They don't look or feel bulky. Mine have the coldwater kit in them.

i have dived the abyss mr 22 for 2 years up here "without "the cold water kit
water temps to 32* in current
easy breathe,no free flow probs
i use old school scuba pro 109 on twins as a rule
single with the abyss
i have no qualms about recommending the 22
have fun
yaeg

I own a set of the new MR22 Abyss w/ matching octo ... and have been wholly satisfied with the performance of them underwater. Much like any reg, ensure that you have a local tech who is capable of performing all necessary work.

When I encountered a SLIGHT issue with my new regs, Zak here on SB provided assistance that exceeded all of my expectations. I've seen that he routinely provides help for members here, and when something remains unclear to him, he can refer to the techs at his disposal.

And the DFC Port is 1/4" which is just weird and inconvenient.

DiverDudeCt has a valid point, but OP, if you are still concerned (which you shouldn't be) after doing the research and reading that I am sure you have performed, an adapter can be purchased and applied easily.

In short - some fine high performance regs. And they look good, which we all know is the most important feature of ANY scuba gear!

And they look good, which we all know is the most important feature of ANY scuba gear!

Color and style is by far the most important thing in any SCUBA gear purchase :rofl3:

I have been using the Abyss for over 10 years and had no issues with it.

Most of my diving is in the 20-30C range but when I go home to Scotland and dive I also take my gear and it works in the cooler Scottish waters with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom