Mares Avanti Quattro Vs. Mares Excel+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Volos & Excels are not alike to dive with. Excels give a lot more feed back & power.

I agree! My first pair of fins were Volo, and being uninitiated, I thought they were fantastic. That's until I got my Quattros. Quattros allows feed back and it's a great all around fin. If you plan on using various fining techniques, such as back and helicopter kicks, you might want to consider Jets or Slimpstream.

I use the three-slot Avantis, can't remember what they're called, and before them I had the two-slot ones. Just like the Quattros but with fewer flex slots. My favourites for technical diving are the two slot ones as they're a bit stiffer; for recreational diving there's very little to choose between them. They all share what to me is the best footbed in the business - I've never found anyone who wore any of them (the correct size, of course) and didn't find them superbly comfortable. There are many fins out there that's not true of. I'm not sure if I've seen the Excel+ but from pictures they look pretty similar. I'd take whichever of these four models is the best price and fit. If you ever dive with seals (the animal variety) then make sure to get yellow fins - they love to play with them. No other colour interests them.

Excels give a lot more feed back & power.

When do you want a lot of power from fins? Assuming we're talking about recreational diving? When I'm in the water I barely move most of the time, and any of these Mares fins works really well. I do sometimes see divers out on a route march or maybe a race, but I don't join them. They always end their dives way before I do anyway.

IMO the most important characteristics of fins are comfort, durability, comfort, propulsion ability, efficiency, and did I mention comfort? And of course colour.

Note that "efficiency" is not the same as "effectiveness". If you really need a lot of propulsion, such as if you regularly have to fin against a strong current (I can think of land-based dives like that) then sheer brute force becomes important, whatever it costs you in effort and tiredness. Most of the time though "efficiency" is way more important - the ability to achieve an adequate speed with minimal effort.

In my experience any fin can also be used for backwards propulsion, such as when you're trying to photograph close to a coral wall in a current. But I find these "conventional" fins quite up to the job. Some people swear by Force Fins for that in particular; IMO they're good though a bit wide for my taste, but don't come close to justifying the price charged for them.

Note - this is for recreational diving. For technical diving propulsion ability becomes relatively more important, though comfort remains the single most important characteristic.

Thank you very much! :D:D:D I think Im gonna go with the Excel + :)

I own a pair of Mares quattro excel fins. If you buy them get some spring straps immediately or have your fingernails surgically removed, otherwise the buckle will virtually tear one off every time you have to open it up. The buckles are beyond garbage.

I have used various open heel Mares with stock straps for thousands of dives and I have never had a problem with the buckles; I lock the lock when I get the proper tightness and never unlock them again. IMHO, when I buy my next pair of open heels the stock Mares strap is a big reason I will buy Mares. If Cressi had a stock strap as good as the stock Mares strap I might consider Cressi open heels.

I agree with that assessment - there's nothing wrong with Mares' standard straps. IMO there is a great deal wrong with the non-adjustable steel springs that some people espouse.

However, the earlier Mares QR buckles are IMO superior to the later ones that include a totally unnecessary and rather fiddly lock. I simply never use the lock. I find that the initial roughness of the buckle's movement quickly becomes smoother with use.

I've used these various "standard" Mares fins for probably 15 years, initially of course without the QR buckles, and IMO they are peerless. They're also now very cheap. I can see absolutely no reason for anyone to pay any more than these fins cost. I've just sold two pairs of Scubapro Jetfins, the original heavy black rubber ones, and was at pains to warn the customers that I and several others to my knowledge find them too uncomfortable to use. I don't want them trying to return them after a few dives.

I agree with that assessment - there's nothing wrong with Mares' standard straps. IMO there is a great deal wrong with the non-adjustable steel springs that some people espouse.

I ESPOUSE spring straps on ALL my fins.

I have dove and own a BUNCH of fins.. Biofins, Force Fins, Quattro's, Manta Rays, the list is larger than I like. Lately I have been diving my Excels for fresh water diving, and while they have a LOT of resistance, I like them for the type of diving I am doing.

While I have NOT found the perfect Paddle fin.... I have found the perfect strap. That would be the aforementioned Spring Straps. If you do not endorse springs straps you either 1) don't sell them, 2) have not dove them, or 3) both! :D

I found the MARES straps to be very difficult to unbuckle, and overly complicated. I never dove them, but removing them was also a PITA and on the Excels Mares has a nub that while in the standard size has a plastic nub that prevents using other straps. A dremel solved that quickly.. but I was none to pleased that I had to go through that much effort.

Well Ron, I have dived them but I don't sell them. I find them generally too tight and unrelenting, and they hurt the back of my heels. If I adjust them so they don't do that then the fins feel loose on my feet. IMO the springs are too strong, with too little flex.

The biggest problem is getting them off in deep water, with gloves on. I simply can't get my fingers inside the springs to push them down off my heel. The Mares QR buckles are simplicity itself to remove.

But tell me, when you're in the water on a normal dive, do you actually fin with much force? I know I don't usually.

Planena Avanti, I've had a pair 25 years still going strong I'm getting a pair Planena Avanti full foot pockets for freediving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom