Mares Avanti Quattro Vs. Mares Excel+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do they make long versions of the Plana for freediving? I haven't come across them. A friend uses ultra-long freediving fins for regular scuba - he's a professional videographer, and when he sees something he wants to film, such as a pod of dolphins, it's as if he's been teleported to them. They're usually so surprised they stay and watch him, so he tends to get good footage.

Do they make long versions of the Plana for freediving? I haven't come across them. A friend uses ultra-long freediving fins for regular scuba - he's a professional videographer, and when he sees something he wants to film, such as a pod of dolphins, it's as if he's been teleported to them. They're usually so surprised they stay and watch him, so he tends to get good footage.

I don't know but those LOOONG fins are too much for me. The Plana's are just right for me. One needs strong legs to take full advantage of those long fins.

I ESPOUSEIf you do not endorse springs straps you either 1) don't sell them, 2) have not dove them, or 3) both! :D

Putting a smiley behind that statement does not make the fact that it is untrue any smilier. :shakehead: Especially given your badge!

If I had to guess, peterbj7 and I have both used more than one pair of Mares open heels with stock straps for more than 1000 dives, each. After my first Avanti's (2 channels) started looking like our rental Avanti's, I left them in the rental bin and used Volo's for the next thousand or so dives. That was actually 2 pair as I returned the first when they came apart a little at the hard / soft material interface; the second pair I just put up with the splitting. Then a pair of X3's for the last thousand or so open heel dives; all three with the stock straps.

Call me a blow hard if you want, but I am saying I have used stock Mares straps for over 3,000 dives and the main reason I will buy Mares the next time is the stock strap. As far a paddle design is concerned, I like the Frog design but hate the Cressi straps, so the next pair of open heels I buy will be Mares.

I do not sell any gear except my old worn out gear, and I have used spring straps a few times and really, really didn't like them; for more than one reason. For the record, I don't use the buckle; that's why I like the lock. Set 'em, lock 'um, leave 'um; just pull the strap up for on and down for off. If someone stole the straps off the one's I use I could use the straps off the old Volo's; plenty of dives left in them!

Back
Top Bottom