Mares Morphos Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebFoot

Registered
Reaction score
Now that these have been out for a while, I was wondering if anyone here has been diving one. I'm looking into getting one for travelling.

I do mostly "puddle dives" (100fsw up) take good care of my gear, and am rarely in the water with more than one other diver, so I'm not overly concerned about the issues raised about the airtrim system. It would really be nice to be able to establish nb quickly without having to adjust my position in the water.

I do a lot of uw photography, and need to be able to trim into some awkward positions, so no bp&w recommendations please.

Thanks for your help,
James

WebFoot:
Now that these have been out for a while, I was wondering if anyone here has been diving one. I'm looking into getting one for travelling.

I do mostly "puddle dives" (100fsw up) take good care of my gear, and am rarely in the water with more than one other diver, so I'm not overly concerned about the issues raised about the airtrim system. It would really be nice to be able to establish nb quickly without having to adjust my position in the water.

I do a lot of uw photography, and need to be able to trim into some awkward positions, so no bp&w recommendations please.

Thanks for your help,
James

Webfoot, Welcome to the board.

I have been diving with the Morphos for over a year now and have been having a ball. Great for photography, as you can trim in any position. Packs up real nice for travel and even in the gear bag on the boat. It is a back inflate system but the added side wings make it comfortable at the surface too; especially when you are lugging camera gear. Also no squeeze at all since the jacket expands away from the body.

It also does not have the sailing problem that some BP/W setups have in current. That was a nice surprise for me in Coz.

I understand the Morphos Pro is a beefier version of the Morphos with more metal D rings, thicker shoulder pads and tougher material.

If you do not like the Morphos, take a look at Cressi J series and ScubaPro Air classic.

What ever you decide, enjoy and dive smart; dive safe.

Enjoy the ride
:shades:

The Morphos Pro is much more wing-like than the previous incarnations of Morphoses (but please, I know it's not a real wing, to nip potential disagreement in the bud...) in that while previous Morphii had essentially
a U-bag around the tank, the Pro's bag, while still U-shaped, seems less voluminous, and the shape is controlled. By this, I mean that the early Morphosi U-bags were a bit floppy and essentially cylindrical in cross section; the Pro bag is attached to the tank-mounting plastic by a section of mesh, which makes for a more triangular cross section.

Also, the Pro has gone back to a valve setup identical to that of the Dragonfly, Mare's 1st attempt at a vest/back-inflate combo style, in that it has two pneumatic valves and two separate manual valves. I'm guessing that the combo pneumatic/manual valve in the early Morphos models were not ideal. Additionally, the Pro uses the same bag/body construction as the dragonfly. The early Morphos used a bag that was separate from the body; the pro's bag is laminated to the body. An advantage of this is ease of rinsing. The new valve system has one valve that unscrews, as it did on the dragonfly, so you can just open up a hose into the buoyancy bag to rinse everything out well. In fact, the Pro takes the best of the Dragonfly and original Morphos and puts them together.

And finally, one last design change that must've been because an emergency highlighted its need: previous airtrim designs all had the inflator tube buried in one of the pockets. The Pro has its sticking out of the main bc body for easier access.

Anyway, I'm off to Coz next week to see how well this BC works in
practice.

Hi,

I've just ordered a Morphos Pros and am waiting for it to arrive thru the post. Will try it out and let you know what its like. I think I'll do a first try in the pool cos I've changed a large part of my gear in one go so I prefer to get things sorted out and to get used to the airtrim before I go "live".

Steven
:D DITWIW diver :05:
(doing it the way i want)

Hi,

Just received my New Morphos Pro, Haven't used it yet, but have been playing around in the house, fitting it and setting it up. Fits great and you can fine adjust the cumberband fit really well. Put in the MRS system with 4k in each pocket and 2 more in the trim pockets at back (will probably take 1or2 out of sides after try out). I have also removed the zip-up "cocoon" bag because I don't think I'll use it much and didn't like the idea of having the two sides of the bag flapping around on my back (even when rolled up and held by the velcro straps it doesn't look "clean" on the back). To do this I took the back padding off (velcro held), removed the two grey rubber bits on the inside of the backpack and removed the two bolts, then was able to slip the "cocoon" out. Somewhere in a discussion someone had suggested cutting the "cocoon" off the back with sharp scissors. I think my way is easier and better because you can keep the "cocoon" and used it as a zip bag to carry the BC anyway.

I'll be back after first trial.

bye,
Steven

Looking forward to hearing from you Steven!

I'm interested in the Morphos Pro too but am not sure wether it's the right one for me. (Has to do with the Airtrim system.) So any info and experencies with it is very welcome!

I'll try to contact my dive-club to see wether I can make a test-dive with a Morphos Pro.

Greetz!

Sjoerd

Can you do oral inflation with the Morphos? Since it uses the airtrim system, i dont see any oral inflation tube anywhere?

is this the same system as on the mares ltd ed morphos? I'll be concerned if a BC comes without oral inflation option.

-kk-:
Can you do oral inflation with the Morphos? Since it uses the airtrim system, i dont see any oral inflation tube anywhere?

is this the same system as on the mares ltd ed morphos? I'll be concerned if a BC comes without oral inflation option.
It is possible to do an oral inflation. It also uses a tube. But I don't know wether it's inside or outside a pocket.

I thought it was inside a pocket, but not sure!

I have the Ltd Edition Mares Morphos, yes it can oral inflate, and no its not kept in the pocket, just above, and it needs to be pulled fully out before you can inflate, however its very easy to operate and I have had no probs. Done 65 dives with the BCD, and never a problem, very comfy, once you get used to Air trim, its the best and I wouldnt hesitate to reccomend to anybody

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom