Mares Proton Ice & NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie,

I agree completely. I've said it once and I'll keep saying it...Titanium regs are a solution to a non-existant problem.

Greg Barlow

Claus:
Boogie 711 ...
Something ....
My friend loves diving with the Proton Ice.

Appreciate your constructive feedback though..

In other words you had your mind made up before you asked for advice. Your "friend" may be a surperb diver, or a complete idiot. Basing life support equipment decisions on what your friend likes is not the smartest decision around.

MD

After 1,500+ posts I would have thought you would know what constructive feedback is, MechDiver.

Your conclusion is quite wrong - my decision will be based on a lot of reading on this discussion board plus any other feedback I can get. As mentioned, Apeks seems to be a very good choice, but even those have had failures according to some posts. The Mares Proton Ice is fairly new, which presumably will reduce the positive or negative feedback currently available. Plus it is not as widely used as e.g. Apeks from what I can gather.

My friend is certainly no expert, but so far I have not heard anything negative about the Mares Proton ICE apart from being a little heavy, which may lead to jaw fatigue.

So, MechDiver, do you have an answer to my original question "Is this a good choice or are there others I should consider?" or are you just wasting time here?

For the jaw fatigue, try a long-bite mouthpiece or a custom fit one like the Seacure.

By the way, ALL diaphragm regs are environmentally sealed. The cold water kit, CWD, prevents the main spring from freezing in an open or closed position.

I checked out the proton ice a while back. My conclusion was that it sure was pretty but way over priced. I seem to recall that the list price on the thing is somewhere around $500. If that is the case there would have to be a lot better buys out there. Personaly I think the Atomic Z1 has got to be one of the best buys on the market. It is essentially the same as all their other regs except there is no first stage swivel and there is no exotic metal. Also it can be purchased as an environmentally sealed reg with a list price of $399 I beleive.

Yes, the Mares Proton Ice sure carries a hefty price tag, which makes it less and less attractive.

Thanks for your feedback, cstreu1026.

I found the website for the Atomic Z1 (http://www.atomicaquatics.com/Z1.html), where it states that the Z1 is "Factory ready for Nitrox to 40%". However, if one looks at the technical specification page (http://www.atomicaquatics.com/tecspec.html) it mentions that the Z1 uses titanium components. Earlier posts in this thread have suggested that NITROX and Titanium is a no go. I presume that titanium is ok for NITROX to 40%, which is why Atomic Aquatics make the limitation. Correct?

Does anyone know if the Atomic Z1 is good for cold water?

Thanks to all and have a MERYY CHRISTMAS.

Claus.

Claus:
After 1,500+ posts I would have thought you would know what constructive feedback is, MechDiver.

Yes, I have reached a conclusion regarding you, and your questions.

You can get a Mares Proton ICE for $375 at the www.leisurepro.com website. This price makes it very comparable to the other models in terms of price anyway.

From a chemistry point of view 40% oxygen shouldn't be an issue for Titanium. Titanium is going to oxidise a tiny amount in air anyway (pure titanium is silver in color, but leave it out in air and it goes that dull grey) which essentially passivates the surface. 100% could be an issue...but 40% shouldn't. Of course, despite the science behind it, it may be better to avoid the problem by not using Ti.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom