Mares regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
How much more can I elaborate? Do I need to define the terms for you?

- Warren

I understand the terms (except MTBF). Elaborate on the differences in:
hose routing
HP seat design
work of breathing vs. IP
breathing in different postures
MTBF

as they apply to not only tec divers but rec as well.

Jarhead

So Jarhead,

What you'd like me to write is a BOOK on REGULATOR SELECTION. My response is simple: "no."

I honestly don't give a rat's ass what "rec" divers do. I honestly don't care what magazine they use to select their crap. I honestly don't care what you think of Mares regs, or what you know of regulators at all.

The original poster asked for opinions on the Mares Proton. My opinion is that it sucks. Many other divers share my view.

Get a grip.

- Warren

Geez,
Perhaps we need Jarrod to elaborate on this. Funny I haven't seen a single GUE diver, whom, by the way, has hundreds of dives to over 300 ft deep and over 1800 ft of cave penetration endorse a single Mares regulator yet. Wonder WHY that IS?

The simple fact is, in MY opinion, is Mares is a cheap spin-off of quality regs, by a gimmicky company who manufacturers cheap junk and sells it in the name of 'rec' diving.

And whats up with the Mares H.U.B. junk? What ever happened to the good 'ole INFLATOR HOSE on a BC?

Lord!

what your opinion was based on.

In light of your opinion;
I find it interesting that Mares is an international dive equipment company that sells regulators to divers all over the world. Divers who use them, but recommend them to other divers.

Mares regulators even did well in the US Navy regulator tests. If I remember correctly, had at least one regulator place in the top ten for "performance at depth".

Are they perfect? I don't think so. But then neither are any of the others. They all have their strong points and weak points. But they all deserve a "fair shake".

No, I don't work for Mares. I'm a Telecom Coordinator for an international denim manufacturer. I don't even own a Mares regulator. I have considered buying one for my son since he certified last month. That's why I was interested in this thread. But I want reasons to go with the opinions. Appartently I'm not getting them from you.
Thanks for your time anyway.

Jarhead

Scuba 446,

Not that I really care, I have Apeks regs, but I would like to raise a couple of points of order.

First, you say “Funny I haven't seen a single GUE diver, whom, by the way, has hundreds of dives to over 300 ft deep and over 1800 ft of cave penetration …”

Are you saying that you haven’t seen a single GUE diver that has hundreds of dives or that you surveyed all of the GUE divers with hundreds of dives none of which endorse Mares? Or did you conduct an informal poll on GUE divers all of which, by the way have hundreds of dives and unanimously refuse to endorse Mares?

Secondly, you say “The simple fact is, in MY opinion, ..”

Is this a fact or is this an opinion or do you consider your opinion fact? If in fact, you consider your opinion fact, why did you feel it necessary to poll all of the GUE divers to find out which ones have hundreds of dives.

Well, just sitting here on a slow day with obviously too much time on my hands. Sorry for messing with you but you made it too easy. I’m sure this post will negatively affect my karma, but since it was the “flame war of the day” I couldn’t help myself.

By the way were you ever in the French Navy?

Mike

P.S.

Does signing you email “Lord” imply some divine knowledge?

My OPINION is based on the fact that I OWN one of them!

Want to buy it? Its the Mares Axis octo and I have dove it about 6x.

A few more points on the Mares team vs. Apeks discussion.

I purchased a Mares Abyss after some research and I'm very happy with it. Aside from some of the shortcomings mentioned, such as stiff hose, uncomfortable mouthpiece, rather heavy second stage, and price - shop around. The benefits greatly outwheigh it, such as: ease of breathing, rugged metal construction for second stage and yes - no adjustments.

I prefer many of my products to be automatic for personal convenience and ease of use so I can concentrate on enjoyment and other tasks. Aside from a few surface free flows which can be easily corrected or prevented with proper positioning in water, its been flawless under water.

I know some of you hard core manual fans will dispute this, but I believe a good automatic adjustment which sets breathing resistance at uptimum to prevalent conditions is superior to the less accurate human adjustment which may be further compromised by impaired judgement

Just like some driver enthusiasts swear by a manual transmission in sports or race cars, even though automatic transmissions can make a car faster.

I am a rookie diver so I can not make an experienced comparison as some of the very experienced, expert divers on this forum have. While I certainly value these qualities I take them with a grain of salt for the following reasons:

While I have no doubt Apeks are excellent regulators, why always point to the competitions weaknesses and your products strength? What are the weaknesses of Apeks regulators, or have they achieved what mankind has been striving for - "perfection"?

Many of you Apeks fans out there sound like the Apple computers
fanatics when it comes to pc's.

I went to the respective company websites and saw the U S Navy Breathing Work charts they list, the one for the Mares was superior to the Apeks TX 50, 40, and 20. The TX100 was'nt listed, but Rodales Mag. claims its the best breathing reg they have ever tested. Fair enough?
:)

The concept that all regs deserve a "fair shake" is preposterous. That's tantamount to saying that even the worst performing and most dangerous cars should all be considered equally.

The reality is that some cars suck. People who know better don't buy them.

Go buy a Mares reg. Enjoy it. Don't ever look back.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG

Go buy a Mares reg. Enjoy it. Don't ever look back.

- Warren

Thank you for your permission, but I haven't finished my research or made a decision yet.

Jarhead

Scuba,

Wait...

You bought a Mares Abyss... and you like it except for:

1) The stiff hose.
2) The uncomfortable mouthpiece.
3) The weight of the second stage.
4) The price.
5) The tendency to free-flow.

Sounds like a glowing review!

The Apeks regs have weaknesses when compared to, say, the James Bond gill apparatus... but they have very few weaknesses when compared to any other existing scuba regulators. They're cheap, they breath excellently in every position, they have ideal hose-routing, they're simple, easy to fix with only basic tools, they're rugged, they work well with low intermediate pressures, etc. They're the best regs available, at the moment, for any price.

And no, most of us are not bandwagon-riders. If Company X comes out with a reg that knocks the socks off the Apeks regs tomorrow, we'll surely be telling everyone that Apeks sucks on Wednesday.

- Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom